Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Security and Firewalls

Anti-Virus blocking Internet connection, How to resolve it?

This is a discussion on Anti-Virus blocking Internet connection, How to resolve it? within the Security and Firewalls forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi: XP and Outlook Exprpess: After having installed 'McAfee Anti-Virus,' both Internet and Outlook Express did NOT open up even

Old 03-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi:
XP and Outlook Exprpess:

After having installed 'McAfee Anti-Virus,' both Internet and Outlook Express did NOT open up even though there is 'connected' icon at the right bottom of the corner. Apparently, Anti-Virus blocking Internet connection.

After having uninstalled 'McAfee,' both Internet and O.E. opened up normally.

Even other anti-virus, Norton does the same as McAfee did. Then, there is NO Anti-Virus to defend Internet and O.E. for which I'm VERY unconfortable to say the least.

My question is;

Without anti-Virus, how to protect/defend the PC/XP?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Moderator Offline

Hi:

What A/V were you using before McAfee? Did it work OK then?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

OS: Windows XP - Windows 7 - Windows Server 2003 / 2008 - Windows SBS 2003 / 2008 / 2011

Hello,

Install a free Anti-Virus. Microsoft Security Essentials is rated well and wont block OE and the Internet by default.

In my personal experience I have found both McAfee and norton difficult to configure initially.

Dave

Dave Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspected virus/trojan.
Lately, I've been having internet issues, issues I don't usually have. The programs that use the internet have been quite sluggish, but the other family computers are completely fine. It used to be livable, but now its gotten to slow and its random when it starts to slow down. I suspect that theres...
omgheart Resolved HJT Threads 16 03-19-2012 07:00 PM
[SOLVED] How do I change my speaker properties?
How do I change the properties on my laptop's built-in speaker system so that it doesn't think that the external 'green' headphone jack belongs to it? It is causing lots of problems for when I use headphones, as when I open some programs that have sound it sometimes separates the headphone and...
Jacob Kant Sound Cards 6 03-14-2012 06:17 PM
best way to cable from room to room?
Hi guys, I am setting up an office tomorrow in a different room in the house and my current setup is in the den. I'm crossing about 50 feet or less, but the problem is I can't go through a ceiling or anything like that. We ran one ethernet cable so far by routing it along the edges of the...
bascotie Cabling and Network Cards 6 03-12-2012 01:24 PM
How Can I Get Internet To This Computer?
I want to move my computer from the living room into my room so I don't get bothered as often. I have two computers in the living room at the moment (Mine, and the family computer). The family computer has the Comcast XFINITY router/modem next to it so I can easily hook up two ethernet cords to...
OutCognito Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 3 03-11-2012 07:12 AM
Internet does not work
The Internet on my home PC stopped working one day. I use a Dlink USB wireless adaptor for this PC because there is no Internet out let in the room it is located in. My Internet works perfectly fine (as u see I'm using my IPod to write this message). When I open Internet explorer it says it...
Kkajita Internet Explorer Forum 1 03-10-2012 08:43 PM