Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > File and Application Sharing

Win Xp Home Logon Failure: The user has not been granted the requested logon type

This is a discussion on Win Xp Home Logon Failure: The user has not been granted the requested logon type within the File and Application Sharing forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm using 2 Win Xp Home edition computers. The one computer can connect to the other fine, and can see

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

I'm using 2 Win Xp Home edition computers. The one computer can connect to the other fine, and can see whatever documents i shared off that computer. The other computer however, when i try to connect in network it says Logon Failure: The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this time. In an earlier thread u guys described how to fix this, but ur method only works for XP Pro because Home Edition doesn't have Local Security Settings option under adm tools. I tried using registry fix "[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa].restrictanonymous to zero (0)." and set it to zero but that doesn't work. Please any help that you could give would be much appreciated

Old 08-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

I am running 2 computers with win xp Home edition, using microsoft file sharing too network. I can access the other computer in the network from my main comp, but when i get on the other computer, i get this logon message when i try to access main comp "Logon Failure: The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer" I've made my account names the same, with same password, enabled guests accounts, tried the registry fix suggested in the last thread [HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa].restrictanonymous to zero (0)
to no avail. The fixed used in last thread doesn't work for XP home and only XP Pro. Any help would be much appreciated

Old 08-24-2005, 02:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to phubeone Send a message via Yahoo to phubeone
do both computers have the same login information (username and password)? If not add a user on the machine that you're trying to connect to to match the one you're connecting from. Also right click on the folder you are sharing and check the permisions.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

Unfortunately I've already tried that, they both have the same user name and password, and i've already shared the drives on both computer. Thank you for ur help though, much appreciated
Old 08-24-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

lucky me, i found the answer to my own question, but decided to post it just in case anyone else out there is having same problem with XP home. Thank u for ur help

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

If you see this message the following should be done on the computer containing the shared files:

Download the following and install it

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544

after installation is complete, click on: Start, All Programs, Windows Resource Kit Tools, Command Shell

Then enter the following commands. (Attention: they are case sensitive.)

net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

The first command enables network access for Guest, the two subsequent ones change two different policies to allow network access for Guest.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:26 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Thanks for the feedback.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 08-24-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to phubeone Send a message via Yahoo to phubeone
Good to know, I'm sure I will run into this sometime.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
Registered Member

Well... I'm having the same problem w/ a customers machine. Win XP home edition... This fix has not worked so far. Although I was NOT able to get the second two commands listed above to work. Only the first one.

I've also tried the MS web page suggestions to uninstall & re-install file/print sharing to no avail.

The weird thing is this was working until a few days ago. However the machine was VERY infected w/ adware, and hijacking cr..p. It appears I have cleaned all of that off now but the network share issue really needs to be resolved.

So... any ideas are more than welcome. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-11-2005, 06:23 PM   #9
Registered Member

I had this problem connecting a new sony vaio to my PC spent hours trying to figure it out but the script done the job Thanks
Old 01-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
t_p
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QtoTheBall
lucky me, i found the answer to my own question, but decided to post it just in case anyone else out there is having same problem with XP home. Thank u for ur help

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

If you see this message the following should be done on the computer containing the shared files:

Download the following and install it

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544

after installation is complete, click on: Start, All Programs, Windows Resource Kit Tools, Command Shell

Then enter the following commands. (Attention: they are case sensitive.)

The first command enables network access for Guest, the two subsequent ones change two different policies to allow network access for Guest.
I tried this command tool and now I just get "Access is Denied" instead of "Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer "
Old 02-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #11
Registered Member

Here is what worked for me to eliminate this error:

This policy needs to be set to remove the "Guest" account.
Otherwise, you get an error:
"Login failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer"

Local Policies->User Rights Assignment
Deny access to this computer from the network
*S-1-5-21-3....
Support_3889...
Support_fddfa90

Once I did that, everything worked. That was the only change I had to make.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
Registered Member

I have the same problem as the others posted above.

You suggested 'Local Policies->User Rights Assignment' but there is no 'Local Policies' choice in Administrative Tools (XP home). What am I missing?
Old 03-20-2006, 01:06 AM   #13
Registered Member

A client of mine has a similar problem but I think she has been "hacked". Her PC refuses to let me logon (Local policy does not permit ...) and I cannot therefore get into the machine at all to fix the problem. I suspect a hacker has got in through terminal services and messed up the local policy settings. The machine is running XP Home. The only solution so far is to install a second version of WinXP and reinstall everything else - painful. If anybody out there has a better solution, I'd really appreciate it! Incidentally, I've tried opening in safe mode, but I still get turned back at the point of login.

Many thanks
Old 03-20-2006, 07:26 AM   #14
Microsoft MVP

My System

For XP-Home, boot into safe mode.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #15
Registered Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THE SCRIPT, QtoTheBall! I am so happy I would hug you if you were here! You put an end of hours of frustration for me & my cohort. WOW!
Old 03-25-2006, 03:59 AM   #16
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

YOU ARE THE REASON I AM LIVING RIGHT NOW Q
Old 03-25-2006, 03:59 AM   #17
Registered Member

This download worked like a charm!!

Thank you so much!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:55 PM   #18
Registered Member

I have applied the commands below and it will work for about an hour and then stop working again. Please let me know there is anything I need to do after I apply the commands. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:59 PM   #19
Microsoft MVP

My System

If it works, then stops working, I'd suspect some other issue or application changing settings. Have you done malware/spyware scans?

Old 03-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #20
Registered Member

I have scanned my server with 2 different antivirus and 2 spyware apps and neither has found anything. If I leave the shared folder (on server) open on my pc the connection does not drop at all. It only gives me the "Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer" if I have the folder closed for an hour or so.