Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > File and Application Sharing

Using VNC With 2 WiFi Adaptors

This is a discussion on Using VNC With 2 WiFi Adaptors within the File and Application Sharing forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I have a WinXP SP3 PC with a built-in wifi adaptor which I have been running RealVNC with fine for some time. I have given the infrastructure network on this adaptor a fixed and unique IP address and SSID. I now want to add a second wifi adaptor, this time in ad hoc mode so I can access the XP PC when away from my home LAN, and want to be able to access the VNC server on the PC separately via this adaptor also. The 2nd adaptor also has a unique and fixed IP address and SSID.

I have used several different computers to access the XP one with VNC with just the one adaptor but when I log on to the second adaptor's ad hoc network and then try to access it using the 2nd adaptor, despite being asked for the VNC password it just says 'connecting….' and eventually times out.

I asked RealVNC tech but all I got was a rather unhelpful 'yes, you can do that'.

Could someone advise where I might be going wrong, please?

Regards, Martin Winlow.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Management Team Networking

Welcome to TSF!

"I now want to add a second wifi adaptor, this time in ad hoc mode so I can access the XP PC when away from my home LAN"

What is your thinking here? If you are away why do you think you would be in wifi range to access this adapter?

I suspect you maybe running into the known problem with dual homed pcs. Windows only wants to use one gateway. In your case you either don't list a gateway entry [no gateway with adhoc] or you set its metric much higher than the other adapter.

BTW you would normally, via forwarding in the router, attach to your home pc remotely from anywhere you would have an internet connection. It is just a matter of forwarding the vnc port to the host pc.

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post

What is your thinking here? If you are away why do you think you would be in wifi range to access this adapter?
Hi Wand3r3r, Thanks for taking the time to reply. The server PC is installed in an prototype electric motorcycle and has only a small screen for use as instrumentation whilst on the move. There is no room for a bigger display and no way of securing it even if there was, being a m/cycle, nor is it practical to use a traditional pointing device for similar reasons. I need to access the PC for analysing the electronics whilst road testing etc which I planned to do with an iPhone acting as the screen and input device; neat and efficient.

Quote:
BTW you would normally, via forwarding in the router, attach to your home pc remotely from anywhere you would have an internet connection. It is just a matter of forwarding the vnc port to the host pc.
Yes, this is how I have the infrastructure network configured.

Regards, MW.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

So what is the point of the adhoc wifi network?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
So what is the point of the adhoc wifi network?
Because, when away from home, I don't have my LAN available!

Anyway, I have figured it out. The USB wifi adaptor I am using for the ad hoc network can't take a fixed IP address/subnet mask in ad hoc mode. So I had to find out what they were (just create a new network and try to log on with the iphone and see what comes up in the iPhones network info page) and plug those into the TCP/IP Properties on the ad hoc adaptor as well as the new viewer VNC entry for the ad hoc connection and it worked fine.

Thanks anyway. MW
Old 03-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #6

Looks like I missed the point that this is a mobile device and you are there with the mobile device which in this case is a motorcycle.

Have a great day.