Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > File and Application Sharing

[SOLVED] Is there an existing standard for LAN based media streaming?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Is there an existing standard for LAN based media streaming? within the File and Application Sharing forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I want to know if there is an existing standard (set of codecs that guarantee compatibility with any devices

Old 04-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x86 | Ultimate x64 | (XP-Ultimate x86-Linux(various flavors))

My System

Hi

I want to know if there is an existing standard (set of codecs that guarantee compatibility with any devices certified for said standard ) for steaming VIDEO, AUDIO, MUSIC, PHOTOS.

Because it seems to me that the only way for complete compatibility you have to stick with the same brand, but, event then compatibility is still not guaranteed.

If a committee exists to change this issue, and yes I am calling it an issue, that would be great.

Thanks

Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRATTY
Hi

I want to know if there is an existing standard (set of codecs that guarantee compatibility with any devices certified for said standard ) for steaming VIDEO, AUDIO, MUSIC, PHOTOS.

Because it seems to me that the only way for complete compatibility you have to stick with the same brand, but, event then compatibility is still not guaranteed.

If a committee exists to change this issue, and yes I am calling it an issue, that would be great.

Thanks
Well with dlna and help of some applications (depending on what device) you are abel to stream most formats.
For example I have media center from windows media player that will stream movie to my ps3, and with help of applications I can view same media on my android and other computors. If you install divix codec on wmp thats streaming you are able to watch .mkv HD movies on any device you are streaming on, eaven if device doesent originally support format.

Hope this helped.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x86 | Ultimate x64 | (XP-Ultimate x86-Linux(various flavors))

My System

Thanks for quick response.

Currently I have a windows 7 home theater pc and using the media streaming the comes standard with windows. (master copy of media is stored on this)

The devices I have are other computers, couple of ps3's, an iPad, dads iPhone, a Sony smart blu-ray player.

Airplayit works great for the iPad and iPhone

Is there any other software for a windows platform that can stream to the ps3. (Sony smart blu-ray player sucks)

Other computers I usually just open as a network drive
Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

As I said dlna is the way to go, go into your windows media player, there is a stream tab. Click stream tab and chose allow all devices to play my media. Now go trough a first time setup. Once thats done go to your ps3, in video menu thing select search for media servers. Your pc should apear, when you select it you will have all videos from your library on media pc (from your win media player). Now just click on media you wana play and stream will begin.
If you need more in-depth instructions just google windows media server, there is a lot of tutorials on web. Its not the most stable, but does the job. Try it :)
Old 04-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Ok

So your saying to use WMP to do the streaming not windows itself (home group and media streaming options)?

Will try when I get round to setting up the play station and tv again.

Thanks will let you know if this helps

Thanks anyway

This only directs you to network and sharing>media streaming options.

Which is already enable but you see the ps3 only displays AVIs and the blu-ray shows AVIs and MP4s but cannot play MP4s.

I have no problem converting videos but all software I have puts the audio out of sync by at least 2sec but 1hr in

Is there software that can convert the media 'on the fly' at pc end?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

I have done some tests,

Avi ( xvid-ac3). Works well on play station and blu-ray

Does any1 know a converter that can turn my tekzilla and scanskol mkvs into the above without creating a delay in audio?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRATTY
I have done some tests,

Avi ( xvid-ac3). Works well on play station and blu-ray

Does any1 know a converter that can turn my tekzilla and scanskol mkvs into the above without creating a delay in audio?

Thanks
If you are using streaming I told you about then just google divix and on original divix page download "divix", on installation, when it asks you to chose what you wanna install, check only codec pack. Now you will be able to stream mkv on ps3 or any device connected to media server.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:26 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Hi Domiq

Just got round to installing your suggested divx codec from their site.

I still cannot see "test.mkv" it is in same folder as "video.avi"
I can see "video.avi"

Help

NB i have managed to get MP4s and M4As streaming correctly