Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > File and Application Sharing

Adding network printer to Windows 7

This is a discussion on Adding network printer to Windows 7 within the File and Application Sharing forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have a desktop that is joined to a domain. I was able to connect to the network printers

Old 01-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I have a desktop that is joined to a domain. I was able to connect to the network printers and print just fine for months. But today, when I went to print it would show up on my queue but never print. It would just hang there. And when I checked the printers on the server, nothing shows in the print queue. So I removed all the printers from the computer and tried to add them again. But when I do I get an error message "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation failed with error 0x00000002". Ive looked at a couple places so far on the internet but have not found an answer.

Thanks.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

This is a procedure that may work for installing network printers when the normal install doesn't work properly.
  1. Select: Control Panel, Printers, Add Printer
  2. Choose Add Local Printer.
  3. Uncheck the box marked :Automatically detect my PnP printer.
  4. Click Next
  5. Select Create a New Port and leave the default in the drop down selection as Local Port.
  6. Click Next
  7. Windows displays a small dialogue box asking a port name.
  8. Key in: \\ <computer_name>\ <printer_name> See note below
  9. Click OK
  10. Windows will show a list of printer vendors and models. The list looks just like the Windows Add Hardware Dialog. Select your printer manufacturer and printer model from the list. If your specific printer isn't shown, you can click on Have Disk and browse to the folder where you have the unpacked drivers for your printer.

Note:
<computer_name> - Computer name from Control Panel, System status display.
<printer_name> - The actual name of the network printer viewed by browsing to the shared printer on the network.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

When connecting a network printer, the following error was encountered on a Windows 7 64bit computer:

Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation failed with error: 0x00000002

This occurs after browsing to the machine with the shared printer, right clicking the printer, and selecting ‘connect’.
Synopsis

This issue relates to creating a port for the mapped printer, or the printer UNC. During trouble shooting, we did rename the printer to ensure that it follows “8.3” naming convention used on NetBIOS: that did not resolve the issue. Both computers, the client and sharer, were Windows 7 64bit.
Resolution

The solution is to create a new ‘Local Port’ using the UNC to the printer share as the name. For example, the printer is shared with the name ‘HPLJ5’ on computer ‘DESKTOP1’. The local port’s name should be ‘\\DESKTOP1\HPLJ5’.

You may create a new port while doing the ‘Add Printer’ wizard from Devices and Printers in control panel. During this process, you will need to install the print driver as it will not pull the driver from the computer that shared the printer.