Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xbox One NAT issues with 3 cascading routers

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Wand3r3r 
#1 ·
Ok so my setup is as follows. ISP provided modem wired to router 1(Linksys ) currently only one computer(rarely used), an AT&T Microcell, and router 2(Belkin ). Router 2 has a directv box, a computer(usually on and used often), and router 3(Belkin same as router 2). Router 3 has a computer(used often), an AT&T microcell, a directv box, and an Xbox One. All 3 are wireless routers and are used to cover a whole piece of property with wifi. There is 75 feet between router 1 and 2 and 100 feet between router 2 and 3' with the distance, layout and access (not to mention the cat 5e wire cost) being the reason for the cascading layout. All electronics mentioned are wired. Several phones use the wifi. The problem really began when I recently purchased Destiny for Xbox One, with destiny being always online my NAT is being read as strict and therefore cause me to be disconnected from the game constantly making it relatively unplayable. I went into the router 3 settings and forwarded all the ports as instructed by portforwarding but it didn't fix the problem. After some research I came to the conclusion that with my current setup that I'd need a static ip for both router 2 and 3, with my ISP charging $65 a month for each that's not an option. Is there anyway to fix this with my current setup? I know that I can fix it by running another Cat 5e from my modem out to router 3 but it's a long distance and would be a pain in the ***, not to mention that plugging into the second port on the modem will split the internet speed in half(according to my ISP) from 30 down to 15. If it even as simple as buying a $150 router that'll fix my problem it'd be worth it in the long run. I'd appreciate any help i can get. I'm currently at work and don't remember the router model numbers but the Linksys was $150 a couple years ago and seems to work well, the other two are identical Belkin's and both cost $30 at Walmart. I'll post the models when I get home.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to TSF!

"I went into the router 3 settings and forwarded all the ports as instructed by portforwarding but it didn't fix the problem"

This is because you would need to forward the ports in router1 to router2 then to router3.

"I came to the conclusion that with my current setup that I'd need a static ip for both router 2 and 3, with my ISP charging $65 a month for each that's not an option."

Since these appear to be wired in series ISP ip would not work for you either.

"not to mention that plugging into the second port on the modem will split the internet speed in half(according to my ISP) from 30 down to 15."

Two things, the "modem" appears to be a router and its nonsense that your bandwidth rate would be cut in half. That is set by the ISP.

It is never good to cascade switches or routers as you have. They should all be connected to the main router. Each step in the series cuts the bandwidth since the upstream router is competing with the local traffic for bandwidth as it traverses the downstream router.

You should follow this guide in setting up the cascading routers. This way you only have to port forward in the main router and everyone is in the same lan/subnet.

Connecting Additional Routers | Tech Support Forum

#3 ·
Thanks for your quick response but more importantly for your spot on information and the link that sounds like it'll be exactly what I need. I'm ridiculously busy which is why it's taken me so long to get back to you and why I haven't tried this out yet, but I'm sure it'll solve all my problems. So again thanks for your help, this site will be my destination if I ever need help again.

#5 ·
In the process of running another cat5e to router 2 from router 1 and plan on using a coupler to connect router 1 directly to router 3. I will be making router 2 (now known as AP 1) and router 3 (now known as AP 2) access points. I will have my Xbox One wired into AP 2 but the way I'm understanding all the things that I've read, is that I'll only need to forward the ports on the router 1 even with it going through AP 2, Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.