Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SSH Tunnel setup and connection

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  koala 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a small little computer thats quite old and i want to use it for an SSH Tunnel server at my house so i can use the Tunnel elsewhere. i might need a little help connecting to the Tunnel a little later too. i am quite new at networking so i dont know much. i have tried a lot of tutorials and they just dont work. as of right now my computer is running windows 7 home premium 32 bit but i can change to a linux or other if need be. im sorry but i dont know much about port forwarding. i hope this is overall an educating experience for me.

The computer is a Gateway MT3423 with 1 GB of RAM with an AMD Turion 64 x2 1.8 GHZ processor TI-53 i think

i think i have an ssh server made but i dont kno because i dont have another computer to test it on. if i try to go to a website that says they test it it says the server is not up. but i can connect to it via localhost. im on port 443 now. ill try 22.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
also i want to be able to have the server running if the computer is off. like have the server run off of something else but control it from the computer. would something like microsofts server 2012. i dont know anything about windows server 2012 or what its for but it doesnt hurt to ask.

i can connect to a "server" i made with openssh and cygwin through localhost but i have yet to test it from another computer. Would i put the external ip in the puTTY host name (ip address )? i havent tried it yet but i dont know. one more thing is that if i google search ssh server tester and go here:
Online SSH server test
it says it cannot connect. i dont know if that means anything. i have forwarded ports 22 and 443 because those are the ports i use to my static ip of .1.106

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
if i got some money woulde that do what i want? i want to tunnel all my traffic to my home network. i can connect to my server when its running but not from another computer via puTTY. is there a way to verify if it is working other than the localhost? there are a few occasions where i cant connect through local host but it never "times out". that is what happens when i try to go through the internet. localhost errors consist of but are not limited to server rejected request, server suddenly closed connection. not verbatim.

alright i did some tests on the freeSSHd so ill try that again.

The issue i have with freeSSHd is that i cant login from localhost. yes the usernames and passwords from the list match but it gives me three password attempts but they always are wrong. also i cant run off of port 22 because when i try to change it on freesshd it always says this address is already being used. so i run from port 443. same thing happens when i try to use the ip for connection via puTTY over the internet as it does with openssh. should i just try and use some sort of linux distro for the hosting?

I found the issue. My port forwarding sin working and I don't know why. I have a linksis router e800 and i went to the correct windows titled single prof forwarding. I forwarded port 443 to my static ip but when I used port forward.com s port checker, it said the port was not open. Please help me.

#6 ·
"i want to tunnel all my traffic to my home network"

For what purpose? I see you trying all this stuff but its is not making practical sense. After all what purpose is achieved if tunneling everything to your home network?

As I said before if you wanted to make a secure connection from the internet to your home pc you can do this via RDP without the complications you are encountering.

#8 ·
You can use a port other than the default 3389 for RDP ;)

For example, I can connect to a machine say:

1.2.3.4:80

Translated: 192.168.1.10:3389

Then on the router I could port forward and translate an incoming port of 80 to an outgoing port of 3389.

If the firewall is not application aware this should resolve the issue as TCP port 80 should be open if HTTP access is granted.

Josh :)

#12 ·
Well with SSH you can't make a tunnel at all... all you are doing is getting an encrypted session to a command prompt of a device.

An example of an SSH session to a router:

Text Font Screenshot Technology Software

While this is on a router the output would be no different that if I tried it on a linux machine or some other device. All you're going to get is a terminal shell. :wink:

So what is it you want to do? Be able to connect to your PC and then use it as some form of proxy, or connect to your home network in a VPN and then browse the internet as if you were on your home network?

Josh :)

#13 ·
well either sonds fine but since the second one is more in depth ill say that one but i cant pay anything so please dont suggest it. maybe the first one.i dont know. what a am really trying to do is bypass the firewall at the library because i have stuff i need to do but cant because of the firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.