Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Protocols and Routing

5 IP addresses from DSL modem, two routers

This is a discussion on 5 IP addresses from DSL modem, two routers within the Protocols and Routing forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a customer using CenturyLink DSL. His DSL modem only has one physical ethernet port providing 5 static IP

Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a customer using CenturyLink DSL. His DSL modem only has one physical ethernet port providing 5 static IP addresses. I need to pass these IP addresses to multiple routers. Customer will be running two separate and distinct Sweepstakes systems. I need to be able to isolate them so each server has it's own dedicated static IP. I cannot use DHCP, nor can I stack routers. Is there a switch that I can use that will take the 5 IP addresses from the ISP, pass them thru to multiple routers, so I can keep my two systems separate? I guess what I'm asking is I need to turn one physical ethernet connection into at least two ethernet connections, each with its own IP address.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Management Team Networking

Switches don't pass thru ip addresses per se. They pass the packets containing the data which can be the ip address. That is at layer 3 of the OSI model whereas a switch operates at layer 2.

Your solution is simple. Put in a 5 port switch. You have to statically assign the ip address to each routers wan interface.

Hope this helps

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the timely response.

I figured it was something simple. Basically, I take a 5 port switch, connect it to my DSL modem and then set up each of my routers to "look" for their own static IP address on the wan port. Now I can connect additional switches from each router to my workstations.

So its DSL modem > 5 port switch > router(s) > switches > workstations.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #4

You can not configure any router to "look" for its ip address. You have to assign one of the ip addresses manually to the wan port of the router. This is why they are called static ips.

Is there a reason the sweepstakes systems need different wan ips?
Somebody tell you this?
Old 11-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

The company I work for states that our sweepstakes system needs a dedicated static IP address. This is why I need to use one of the five static IP's provided by CenturyLink. CenturyLink's DSL modem only has one ethernet port on it. I have to connect my router to that ethernet port effectively disconnecting everything else in his store. Unless I can use a switch and go "DSL modem to Switch to My router (and anything other router in his store)". I then assign one of the five IP's to my router. Am I thinking correctly?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #6

Yes you would put in switch between router/sweepstakes machines and the modem. You would manually assign one public ip to each devices wan port.