Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

Wireless adapter is gone after restart

This is a discussion on Wireless adapter is gone after restart within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a HP dv9310us laptop that I upgraded to Windows 7 about a month ago. I have had no

Old 12-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a HP dv9310us laptop that I upgraded to Windows 7 about a month ago. I have had no problems with it since then. Yesterday, I restarted my computer and after I restarted it, the wireless adapter did not come back on. The switch on the front of the laptop for the adapter turns blue when it is on. It was blue before the restart but after the restart it is always orange(the off color). I thought it might be a virus or something so i ran a virus scan. It did find several things, so I removed them. Then I found out that there was a windows update that auto downloaded on the 16th. I was thinking that it was caused by the update so I did a system restore to a date before the update. This did not fix it. Then I thought it might be the drivers. I reinstalled all of the broad com drivers. This did not fix it either. The adapter does not show up in the network screen or in the device manager. This laptop was sent for repairs (it had the motherboard replacement problem). It has worked fine since, except for this. I'm not sure what to do now so can anyone help me? It does not recognize it at all and the light on the switch stays off whether the switch is in the on or off position. Does anyone know what to do about this? It is a broadcom adapter that is standard in the hp dv9310us laptop. Everything else on the computer works fine. I can connect to the internet via Ethernet cable, so the problem only affects the wireless internet.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello,

Please check the Device Manager:
Click on Start =>Control Panel =>Device Manager =>expand Network Adapters and find your Wireless Adapter from here. Do you see a Yellow !?
Do you have the CD driver for this?

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have checked the device manager, it is not listed there. I do not have the CD of the driver but I do have the downloaded drivers installed but it still does not recognize the adapter.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

It seems to be that the laptop has a motherboard issue still if the wireless ethernet adapter became went out, and you only have 1 port.
My recommendations will be....either buy a USB wireless ethernet adapter for under $20 or do a Repair of the O/S. I would go with my first recommendation.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Gear in this thread