Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

Using RJ11 for networking?

This is a discussion on Using RJ11 for networking? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Don't ask me why, but can i use a standard 4p4c telephone wire for networking? A regular 100MB Ethernet connection

Old 08-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Don't ask me why, but can i use a standard 4p4c telephone wire for networking?
A regular 100MB Ethernet connection only uses 4 of the actual wire in an RJ45.
I really don't care about the speed that would be associated with (Cat3?) untwisted wire. Would i have to buy Rj45 modules to put on the wire?

Old 08-29-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

CAT3 cable is twisted, just not as much, but it's only rated for 10 MB, not 100 MB. It may work for short distances, like for a temporary patch cable replacement, but I wouldn't use it for anything permanent. 6 months from now a simple change in the environment could give you all kinds of trouble, and you might not relate it to using CAT3 instead of CAT5/CAT5E cable.
Not worth the difference in cost.

The flat untwisted cable often used for connection a phone to the wall would not be reliable at all.

You'd have to use the RJ45 connectors. The 4P4C will plug into an RJ-45, but connects to pins 3,4,5,6. Any Ethernet device uses pins 1,2,3, and 6, so that won't work.
TheOutcaste is offline   Reply With Quote