Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

Unable to connect to internet with TP-Link Wireless Adapter

This is a discussion on Unable to connect to internet with TP-Link Wireless Adapter within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all Today I bought a TP-Link 150 Mbps Wireless PCI Express Adapter so I can pick up the internet

Old 12-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all

Today I bought a TP-Link 150 Mbps Wireless PCI Express Adapter so I can pick up the internet connection in my house from my home PC. (We use a laptop most of the time which is able to pick it up fine).

I've installed the wireless adapter into the computer and installed the drivers however I receive an error message:

"The device may not be present or could have been ejected/unplugged from the system. Insert of Reinsert Now."

I've reinserted the card and restarted the computer but with no luck. Is there anything else I've missed here?

Many thanks!
Mooki

Old 12-28-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

What kind of computer is this? Dell, HP? or Custom?

Old 12-29-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this-IT-guy View Post
What kind of computer is this? Dell, HP? or Custom?
It's an Intel Pentium 4 (sorry is this what you meant?)
Old 12-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

No, I'm referring if you bought it from the store or if it's custom built. When you first bought this computer did you install the necessary drivers for it?
Old 12-31-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

Oh, no I bought it from a store. All the drivers are up to date as far as I know however I'm unable to connect to the internet to check.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Can you give me the make and model of the computer.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #7
Registered Member

Okay I've gone into the System Information however all it says is:

System Manufacturer: System Manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name

Not very helpful..

So I've looked all over the case but there aren't any model numbers that I can see. The only model / serial numbers relate to the Windows XP Software.

I downloaded a program called "Belarc" which apparently gives model information but all it says is:

System Model: No details available

Why is it doing this?? Is there anything else I can do to give this information to you?

Many thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

So belarc gives you no infromation whatsoever?

Try Everest below:
Download Everest Home Edition 2.20 Free - Everest Home Edition - a freeware system information, system diagnostics and benchmarking solution - Softpedia

I am surpriesd there are no identifying stickers with system model or model no's.

Was it bought from a retail store or online store?
Is it refurbished or second hand or bought as brand new?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
Registered Member

No belarc gives nothing - very strange.

I've just installed Everest and it's come up with a warning:

"This computer seem to have an "Intel Mill" CPU. The current version of EVEREST you are running does not fully support your system."

Not sure if this helps at all?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #10
Registered Member

I just ran a report with Everest. The information it gives is:

System Properties:
Manufacturer: System manufacturer
Product: System Product Name

Motherboard:
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 641, 3200 MHz

I'm so confused :(

Sorry forgot to answer your last question. It was bought brand new about 6 years ago from a computer shop. I don't believe it was refurbished (the case looked brand new?) and I don't remember hearing them say anything about that. Sorry this doesn't help much. I remember them saying it was a "Celeron" if that helps at all?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Will we need more information. Use sandra. If that doesn't work use hwinfo.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Surpriesd there's no identifying stcikers especially if it was bought as new from a store.

Try sandra as this-IT-guy has suggested.

Can you connect to the router ssid if yes please give us an ipconfig /all for us to review.

If you just receive the error when trying to connect go into device manager and under network adapters look for your TP link adapter and see if there are any exclamation marks or red x's against it if not open it up and "This device is working properly should be disaplyed". Please report back with an update.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
Registered Member

Hi all

Just thought I'd post an update.

I've contacted TP-Link direct and they can't seem to fix this problem either. The computer now recognises the device but the drivers just won't install properly for it to work. It's very frustrating.

My computer is approximately 9 years old now and doesn't seem to be doing too well. So I'm going to look at purchasing a new one (from a reputable store with an obvious brand and model mind you).

Thanks for all your assistance
Old 06-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
Moderator - Networking

My System

In the meantime if you would like us to still try and assist you with connection until you get your new pc please try and connect an ethernet cable from your pc's ethernet port to one of the Lan ports of the router and see if you have internet connectivity.