Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

[SOLVED] Network Adapter Losing Connection After a Power Outage

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Network Adapter Losing Connection After a Power Outage within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. *Please let me know if I need to post on another section instead of Cabling and Network Cards* Last night

Old 11-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

*Please let me know if I need to post on another section instead of Cabling and Network Cards*

Last night my power went out for only a few seconds while my computer was on. My computer restarted itself and was on when I awoke this morning, but I couldn't establish a connection to my router. I could connect with my phone and another computer in the house, so I knew it must be my computer. I restarted my computer and I could establish a connection, but now every few minutes I lose the connection to my router.

Additional information:
My computer is a desktop with a gigabyte motherboard and it is plugged into an old surge protector. My wireless adapter is a "D-Link DWA-552 XtremeN Desktop Adapter."

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Management Team Networking

Please click on the link in my signature and provide the requested info. Thanks

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply! Fortunately, my signal strength has slowly gotten better and now it's back to its old self. I'm a little too busy to investigate why this happened, but if I run into any more problems I'll be sure to ask!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

Ok my internet sucks again:
Wireless Connection
Provider: AT&T
I'm not sure what broadband I'm using. All I know is that my Wifi comes from a router that us plugged into the wall
I use a D-Link DWA-552 XtremeN Desktop Adapter
The only Anti-virus software I use is Malwarebytes, which I run full scans with weekly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	142513  
Attached Files
File Type: txt ipconfig.txt (3.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Management Team Networking

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net from your ipconfig
You appear to be connecting to your neighbors wifi. Additionally it appears your neighbor is giving you false internet settings.

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254 <-_ bad entry for dns

Unfortunately it appears your router is not performing well in comparison to your neighbors. You need to make sure you connect to your router.

Might want to see if a Linksys wifi adapter would work better with your Linksys router.
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

We actually have two routers in our house. Normally I am connected to 2wire but I had to use artemis when writing my reply because I was having trouble connecting to 2wire. Man, I spent $80 on my wifi adapter because my old Linksys adapter kept crashing my computer. Here's another screen capture of Xirrus and ipconfig when I'm connected to 2wire. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to make my adapter perform better without replacing it just yet. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	143081  
Attached Files
File Type: txt ipconfig.txt (4.8 KB, 17 views)