Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

[SOLVED] how to add a new phone line

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] how to add a new phone line within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I want to add a new phone line to a small office in a hotel. They have avaya phone system

Old 07-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

I want to add a new phone line to a small office in a hotel. They have avaya phone system and they are currently using 6 or 7 phone lines. From the avaya wires are run to the 66 block and from there to the outlets. So i think i can connect a cable from the avaya to the 66 block and it automaticaly give an extension number, but how do i add a phone line number to that connection? If there is a easier way please let me know how to do it. Thanks

Old 07-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Management Team Networking

"So i think i can connect a cable from the avaya to the 66 block and it automaticaly give an extension number"

Sorry but it doesn't work like that.

You have a phone at one end and it connects to a port in the phone switch at the other end. Switch has to be programmed to give that port an extension.

An extension does not have to map to a phone number. When making a outgoing call the phone system should be configured to use any of the 5 or 6 [usually line1 main number is not used for outgoing calls] available lines.

You need to talk to a avaya phone tech

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

From the avaya system there is an extra cable so what i did was to connect that cable directly into the phone and the found out the extention number, but to make an outside phone didnt work.

I thought that could be done easily.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

By any chance do you know whare i can get a guide on how to program the avaya system.

Thank you for the help
Old 07-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Management Team Networking

start here
https://www.avaya.com/usa/campaigns/...nual&HBX_OU=52
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

I will thanks again