Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to get wired (gigabit) and wireless networking

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Wand3r3r 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm trying to build a NAS from my dad's old desktop. The motherboard is an Asrock FSB1GHZ. I need wireless and wired connectivity. My question is, will the on board Ethernet port get me gigabit speeds (as long as everything else is in place) so I'd just need a wireless card?

Also, what speed wireless card would I need to stream SD video content to an ipad?

Thanks,

Dom

#2 ·
Asrock FSB1GHZ: This is not a model number, but a feature of some AsRock boards. Most do support 10/100/1000 fast ethernet but not all.

Look for a wireless card which supports 802.11 ac.

#6 · (Edited)
Helps to date the board but not to identify it. The RoHS directive took effect in 2006, about the same time that DDR3 memory began replacing DDR2.

However, gigabit ethernet has been integrated on motherbards for about ten years, so any board new enough to take DDRII 800 memory most likely has it.

PS: Do you see your board here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Asr...mCsQSF1IHAAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1758&bih=943

#10 ·
You would not put a wireless card in the NAS. You would put in a gig card and connect wired to the wireless router. Folks would connect to the router then the NAS. Otherwise you have to set the NAS wifi as ad-hoc wireless or as a access point. No real benefit in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.