Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutting out after 30 mins

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  happyman123uk 
#1 ·
I have virgin media with a speed of 200mbps and want to use all of it so here is the problem

I have a dell on826n (socket 775) motherboard which has a built in lan card which when I do a speed test it never gets over 100mbps

so I installed a 10/100/1000mbit lan card and did a speed test and it went over 200mbps and all was well for about 30 min's then internet crashes and I have to unplug if from the installed card and replace it back into the motherboard to get my internet back

Any ideas why this is happening any help would be gratefully received

#2 ·
Are you connecting direct to a modem, or is it a gateway with multiple ethernet ports on the back? If your connected direct to the modem, try connecting the new NIC to it then reboot the modem. Also make sure you are using a CAT5e or CAT6 ethernet cord.

Also, what do you mean the "internet crashes"? Do you get a error message? Do you lose your IP?

Finally what LAN card did you get? Have you checked if your running the latest drivers?

#3 ·
Its a gateway and I have 2 other computers running fine on it I am using cat7 Cables on all 3 computers.
What I mean by crashes is just stops and I get the red cross and it says no connections available as for the lan card its just a standard card PCLe Express 10/100/1000Mbit Lan Card all drivers up to date

#5 ·
It's possible, but then again I don't know which NIC we are talking about. There is no such thing as a "standard" NIC card. All of them have specific model numbers and drivers.

Also, is it a PCI-e or PCI-e 16x? Did you put it in the right slot on the motherboard?

Finally, the motherboard itself is 10/100/1000Mbps so I don't know why you upgraded. However it's possible it's not a issue with the computer. Try swapping the ethernet between two PC and see if any change. This will test the ethernet and the port.

#6 ·
Cat7 is shielded cable. Shielded cable needs to be grounded and in the case of Cat7 [which I have not worked with] it appears it needs specific interfaces

CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6, CAT7 and CAT7a Information

For grins and giggles I would suggest trying a Cat5e or 6 patch cable to see if that makes a difference.

Usually when you add a network interface you need to disable via the bios the built in one. This frees up the resources being assigned to the built in to be used by the add in card. Might want to consider that change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.