Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

cabling in a machine shop

This is a discussion on cabling in a machine shop within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I need some help with a networking situation.

I need to extend a wireless network in my friendís small machine shop, and for that, I will use a second router as an access point. I have done this in homes, but never in a machine shop. The new router will be located in the opposite side of the shop, 100 ft. away from the main router. I am just undecided about what cable to use. Due a possible EMI interference from the machines (drills, welding machine, punch press, etc.) I believe I should use STP cable, but my only concern is if I will need to ground that cable. This is new for me, and I wonder if I just can use UTP cable instead.
I will not use bulk cable, just a 100ft stranded cable

What would you suggest?
oct714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Yes use STP cable and you can ground to the ground on a outlet
GentleArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

As mentioned by GentleArrow, STP should be fine.

IMO, you can also go with Fiber, Multimode since the distance is not that long. Then you can get media converters, fiber-to-copper, and connect to the AP.

You can find some inexpensive media converters online.
Techie19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pinging between Virtual Machines (on a physical machine) on VirtualBox
Hey folks, Iím currently experimenting some operating systems through virtual machines and the program that I used for this is called VirtualBox. I have two VMs running on my physical Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 machine. These VMs are as follows: VM #1: Ubuntu Linux Server Network adapter is set...
simon726 Networking Support 4 12-25-2014 07:41 AM
The ultimate copier machine
We've had a bit of an ongoing problem at work and I would like some help. Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this. Alot of our jobs need us to backup users files/folders to 1 of our machine, then either transfer them back to the user's old hard drive, or a new hard/drive machine. ...
Retro Techy Hard Drive Support 3 12-18-2012 06:40 AM
Win XP machine not "visible" on the network
My home network, consists of a bunch of Win 7 computers and 2 XP machines. One XP machine is a netbook, it's rarely on and presents no issues. Here's the problem I'm having with the other XP machine: -My Win XP PC does not show up in the list of networked computers on any of the other...
Sviatapolk Networking Support 1 10-08-2012 12:33 PM
[SOLVED] Severe % dropped packets on XP machine when Win7 machine on network not swit
Hi, I have a strange error on my home network that I cannot find a solution to. I have an Huawei SmartAX MT882 from TalkTalk acting as a modem connected to a D-Link DSL-G624T acting as a router/switch. Connected to the D-Link I have a Windows 7 Pro machine (64-bit, SP1) and an XP (home i...
amore56 Networking Support 8 08-09-2011 05:03 PM
10 Commandments of security
The Ten Immutable Laws of Security Topics on this Page Law #1: If a bad guy can persuade you to run his program on your computer, itís not your computer anymore. Law #2: If a bad guy can alter the operating system on your computer, itís not your computer anymore. Law #3: If a bad guy has...
Doonz General Computer Security 13 09-15-2004 04:49 AM