Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

Wireless connection does not work anymore

This is a discussion on Wireless connection does not work anymore within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My Dell Latitude D620 laptop can't seem to connect to my wireless wifi anymore. It keeps trying to acquire the

Old 09-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

My Dell Latitude D620 laptop can't seem to connect to my wireless wifi anymore. It keeps trying to acquire the network address but it can't seem to actually connect anymore. When I turned it on yesterday, none of the program icons would appear on the screen and after several tries, they eventually did, but it would not connect to the wireless. (I am using my iPod Touch to write this.)

When I Googled for a solution, I found an article on the Microsoft Knowledge Base (871122), and followed the instructions on how to restart the wireless, because, at first, it wasn't even trying to connect. Once I did what it said, it tried to acquire the network address and that is about as far as I can get it to go. FYI, I am running Windows XP, Service Pack 3.

I deleted some seldom used programs because my tiny 26G hard drive is nearly full and it keeps complaining of low disc space. Maybe I accidentally deleted something necessary to make the computer run as it should, but I only deleted seldom or never used programs. And because I have almost no disc space left, I cannot run any Windows updates or update my antivirus program (AVG Free) either. I bought a new 500G hard drive but I do not know how to transfer the contents of my 26G hard drive on to that, including Windows XP (for which support ends next April, I know, and I'd like to upgrade my laptop to be Windows 7 compatible and I did run a program to check my system for compatibility and aside from a few issues, it said that it would work.)

So can anyone please help me to resolve this knotty issue? Or is this best fixed by a professional? Thanks for any and all answers!

Old 09-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

OS: XPP32; W7P64; W7U64; W8P32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 4.1.2

How to restore Windows XP to a previous state

Old 09-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Unfortunately, since my hard drive is already full, I cannot use the "system restore" function. So, thanks, but I already tried this and my computer complained of the lack of space on my hard drive.

Now what?
Old 09-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

OS: XPP32; W7P64; W7U64; W8P32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 4.1.2

XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option
Old 09-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

I asked if any of my Facebook friends could help to solve the problem and a friend from church answered that her husband, a professional computer tech, could fix it. Dropped it off at their house earlier today and I just got a call that the computer is fixed! Hurrah! I get it back tomorrow! Yay!

Leave it to friends at church to come to the rescue! (LOTS of techies go to my church, so that is a great thing!) I have no idea what might have been causing the problem, but I suspect it had to do with the computer's very tiny hard drive being full. I brought a new 500G hard drive over to my friend's house with all of the other stuff, so I hope that it got installed and that I now have more storage space on it.

Thanks for the answers given, though!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
Hardware Tech Team

Thumbs Up

Good to hear the problem has hopefully been resolved.