Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

Verizon DSL - Page cannot be displayed

This is a discussion on Verizon DSL - Page cannot be displayed within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, I'm a first time user and saw so much good info on this forum, that I thought someone

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all, I'm a first time user and saw so much good info on this forum, that I thought someone might have an answer for me. I am assisting a math teacher using Verizon DSL and she cannot access her educational sites to complete her Certifications and testing. When she tries to access www.ctaponline.org or http://www.lacoe.ctaponline.org/ she gets "The page cannot be displayed" I have tries so many things from resetting the winsock catalog to re-registering DLLs. I have set the primary and secondary DNS servers that some of you have suggested on this forum and still no success. I have flushed the DNS. I tried accessing the sites server directly from the browser and no success. I also tried adding the site to my hosts file. Two other people I know of who have Verizon DSL also cannot access this site. I can access it from the School District or my home using Adelphia and Verizon tech sppt can access it but they said they go through another network or server. I was told by the site help desk sppt that we are trying to reach, that pinging would not be successful do to their firewall blocking it. When I do an nslookup, it give me an error first of "DNS request timed out. ** can't find server name for address .......", but then shows me the primary DNS and then then the destination address I'm trying to reach. A trace route times out after a certain point. Does anyone have any suggestions??? I have seen much info re: issues with Verizon's DNS not resolving URLs properly, but no solution yet for me. Would connecting directly to the Westell modem help? If so, what can I change there or look for.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:51 PM   #2
Registered Member

thanx anyway, but my issue was resolved by the help desk I was trying to access. Problem was bogons.

Bogons is the name used to describe ip blocks not allocated by IANA and RIRs to ISPs and organizations plus all other ip blocks that are reserved for private or special use by RFCs (the actual term "bogons" comes from word "bogus", as in bogus ip announcements).

It was basically a set of non-routable addresses that was set on two routers of the destination that I was trying to reach. They unblocked the Verizon IP range that I was coming from and I am now accessing the site again.

See also http://www.completewhois.com/bogons/ for more info on bogons.

thanx.