Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

USB Dongle not connecting to Wireless network

This is a discussion on USB Dongle not connecting to Wireless network within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a power mac G4 and was recommended a USB Dongle to connect to wireless (at home). I purchased

Old 01-07-2010, 04:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a power mac G4 and was recommended a USB Dongle to connect to wireless (at home).

I purchased a Sparklan Dongle - SparkLAN 802.11g Fast Wireless USB Adapter,
and had no problem installing it on my mac. It is compatible with OSX10.4 which I have.

However - it will not connect to my wireless router, which I have in another room and it's connected to a PC permanently. I'm not sure if this is the reason it won't connect to a Mac - however, I haven't had this problem before when I used all of this on another (older) mac.

The mac is not recognising the wireless at all - so I am unable to configure the internet settings manually.

I am getting an error message that the USB extension was not installed properly and needs to be configured - but I cannot do this.
I have re-installed the key, rebooted my computer and scanned for wireless devices several times.

I am unable to connect to the router via an ethernet as the router is in a different room, hence buying the key int he first place.

Can anyone help, I'm getting desperate! I seem to be not the only one with a similar problem when purchasing the Sparklan USB - but no one seems to want to help on Amazon's website.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Registered Member

I'm going to buy an ethernet cable and do it the hard way!