Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

[SOLVED] DSL Westell 6100 with Linksys Router Port Forward Problem

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] DSL Westell 6100 with Linksys Router Port Forward Problem within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So, the question is, why can't he get bridge mode working with ZoomTown? Why does it "break" the back-end of

Old 05-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #21
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

So, the question is, why can't he get bridge mode working with ZoomTown? Why does it "break" the back-end of your network? What exactly does it "break"? That's the statement here that makes no sense, and is certainly unique to your network!

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:17 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afisticuffs View Post
The Westell 6100 does work with ZoomTown; it's a hit or miss though as far as you wanting to do what you are trying to do. As far as you needing to do anything to get the 6110 setup once it shows up, is nothing. It's already in bridge mode. The Westell 6100 has internal routing capabilities so that you can do port forwarding, and other networking/routing features as well. The Westell 6110 does not. It basically just passes the network right on through the modem and nothing else.

Hope this clears up any confusion.
Success! The 6110 I found off Craigslist is working. I just plugged it in and it worked exactly like you said. Aside from the $20 I spent to buy it and some frustration getting to this point, I am happy!

Thanks again for some guidance working through this. I believe that there has to be some way to get the 6100 to work functionally the same as the 6110 but I couldn't figure it out.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #23
Registered Member

I have Verizon dsl, dynamic ip, dnsexit.com to update my WAN IP for serving my own dns in order to host server functions here, and cannot get port forwarding via Applications Rules or DMZ. I have an Actiontec GT704WG but even if I could get port forwarding to work, I would still suffer double NAT. Westell 6110 sounds like the right choice.

Verizon.com search reveals lots of links for Westell 6110 in support, but only 6100 for sale.

I got the original firmware on the Actiontec to do port forwarding, but the update, fully Verizon compatible, does not do port forwarding by any means. It always hijacks web and dns requests, at any firewall setting, any applications rules, DMZ or not, or any combination of those. Other people can get port forwarding, but they then still suffer double NAT.

I have been put on eternal hold twice tonight when I said 6110, not 6100, please. Let's try a third time, then I go to ebay or craigslist for my 6110 and a REAL INTERNET CONNECTION.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #24
Registered Member

Verizon sells/ships 6110's, according to my third call to organize an exchange. They only take orders for 6100, and the guys in the warehouse toss a coin and ship either 6100 or 6110. I got the warehouse phone number, though, so we are not dead yet. I could keep ordering and exchanging 6100's until one turns out to be a 6110, then report back the statistical likelihood that you would get a 6110 on first try, second try, etc. Will do! The warehouse guys don't show up until 8am tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #25
Registered Member

Another thing I wanted to add was; when a DDSL customer (a customer who has a static ip address) gets a Westell 6100 (routed bridge modem), depending on whether they are on ADSL2+ network, we will then help configure the 6100 to go, in a sense, into bridge mode.

When logging into the Westell interface summary page using the modem's gateway address:
Configuration > Advanced WAN > WAN
- you leave the first box blank but the second one below it checkmarked.
- then put in the static ip subnet mask and gateway and click SAVE.
Then you're good to go.
*It's important to remember, that if you have a router or just the pc by itself connected to the Westell modem, that you configure the device statically with the correct static ip information.

Our customers on the ADSL classic network, who have static ip addresses, will only get either a Westell Versalink (wireless modem/router) or a Westell 6110 (bridged modem).
Old 01-25-2009, 03:05 AM   #26
Registered Member

I see Westell 6110's on ebay, and new ones $70-$80 dsldepot.com

Verizon warehouse open Monday 8am-6pm.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 AM   #27
Registered Member

I had a static IP, but King Bush granted king's charter by monopoly regulation, like back to Ma Bell and IBM. Verizon choked my ISP to death, and he didn't enjoy it.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:30 AM   #28
Registered Member

20 calls to Verizon, cross-threading in circle, qos, drops, dangling menu links to non-existent numbers, 20 minute holds. OK ordered the exchange of Actiontec for Westell 6110.

Verizon lost a lawsuit, and we are entitled for sure now to have server ports on dynamic ip's. (We have fixed their backend!)
Old 01-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #29
Registered Member

Well, you may need this, too. I got a call back, and a nice lady from India who dates Kiss Mo the Pak from G.Lite told me that my 6110 would have to be a 6100. I told her all she had to do was call Shipping at the warehouse, 800-533-4711, and make that a 6110.

At the point someone at Verizon is ready to take your order for Westell 61xx, say 6110 and tell them to call Shipping at the warehouse and give them the phone number. That's your ace, the phone number, 800-533-4711. That will fix your back-end!

The nice Indian lady's mom made the 20-minute hold recording. She sounds like Alfred Hitchcock, and gets off on playing a recording of a cell door opening 100 times. My former dsl isp from India who was choked out by Verizon told me about these ladies from India. He said when I get the 20-minute hold with Alf and the cell-door sound, make the 20 minutes by any means, even if I have to lay back on the bed and...whatever, don't let her get to me. I did it and now my backend has a 6110 as of tomorrow! (knock on wood!)
Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #30
Registered Member

Or else I buy a Westell 6110 on ebay or at dsldepot.com and fix my backend that way!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #31
Registered Member

I don't know why you would want to port forward your DSL anyway. Are you trying to host an online game with 1.5M?

I won't be joining your server.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #32
Registered Member

I tried a 6100 and it works in Bridge-Bridge. It comes set for Bridge-RoutedBridge. I switched settings to Bridge and Bridge, turned off private lan's dhcp, no firewall, and I can still log in by browser to 192.168.1.1 or whatever I set the IP.

I set my firewall-gateway to Westell's mac by using ifconfig. macchanger would also work. This has to be done early in boot scripts or mac becomes read-only("busy").

Then you turn off redirect by browsing to:

[Westell IP]/verizon/redirect.htm

Instead of [Actiontec IP]/verizon/redirect

At a minimum I need to run my own dns to handle forwarding beyond what I can get for free. In the past I ran qpsmtpd with dspam and cyrus imap, and a little web server. I know it's all commoditized or free. google apps can put your domain name on your email.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:33 PM   #33
Registered Member

My neighbor has a dry pair("dry loop") Verizon dsl, no phone number, $40/month. Still assymetric though.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #34
Registered Member

(So, to be explicit) my linux gateway logs on by dhcp and gets the wan ip, using Westell's mac.

I do not get angry with customer service people, but they say things like,"We do not support port forwarding", which is pirates off the coast in a port-to-port world.

In billing, they imply that we must pay what our bills say even after putting in orders for refunds for security and games bundles we never ordered, and a modem ra-returned and tracked as received. In other words, loan Verizon $200 for two or three "billing cycles" due to Verizon's mistakes. Guess what, just pay what you **REALLY** owe; they don't say anything. Stand up for our rights.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #35
Registered Member

fingerdrop, 1M too slow? 1.5M is threshold for gaming equity, I read. Would that mean that dsl is not fast enough for games? War games can be played on 10M/10M over copper pair, if you have a DC-area govt welfare connection on Actelis. Otherwise FIOS for most of us, which is your point I guess.

On the other hand, I can run those other types of servers on 1m/400kbps.