Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

Router problem with comcast modem

This is a discussion on Router problem with comcast modem within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am currently staying at a friends place and I tried to connect my router to my friends modem to

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am currently staying at a friends place and I tried to connect my router to my friends modem to get wireless internet with my laptops. For whatever reason his computer is only connecting using the USB slot. I tried unplugging the USB connection, then using the ethernet only (my router only can receive the connection from the modem via ethernet). When I did that none of the computers would work. Does anyone know if the settings on the modem need to be changed to accept an ethernet connection? Or what I have to do to correct this?

Old 08-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike

Anytime you change a interface (USB or Eithernet) on a cable modem, when you connect something different to the modem, you have to restart the modem. This is usually done by power cycling the modem- unplug it for about 30 seconds, when it comes back up- it should see your router, and all the PCs should be able to get online.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip, I will try it again just incase I didn't give it enough time powered off.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ADSL Modem AND Seperate Router problems(moved from hardware)
OK, this could be hard to explain, so bear with me. Until we got a new laptop this week with Vista on it, my desktop connected via an ADSL modem plugged by Ethernet to the LAN port of my 3Com OfficeConnect Router. The reason for this is the ADSL part of the router was consistently unable to...
laticsforlife Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 6 01-18-2009 07:24 AM
router and modem connection problem
Hi I am new at this .I am having a problem with my desktop won't connect to internet but the laptop that is using the Linksts 2.4 wireless router B will .The desktop keeps saying aquiring network address but won't connect . I have dsl verizon. Can anyone help thanks
labudgc Networking Support 17 05-23-2007 12:22 PM
Comcast Woes - 3 Routers Fried or is it the modem? (RESOLVED)
For a month, my setup was this: Modem > Linksys RT31P2 VoIP Router > Netgear MR814v2 > LAN-Computer 3 Days ago, I changed it to this: Modem > Linksys RT31P2 VoIP Router > D-Link DI-624-Rev.C Wireless G Router > LAN-Computer + WLAN Computer Connection fails about 10:20pm EST while...
Matthew538 Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 3 04-30-2007 06:48 AM
Router unable to get dhcp-lease while desktop has no problem
I've recently got some problems using my router while accessing internet. I have a Asus WL-500GX router which I have been using without problems to share my cable modem internet connection. Recently though, after I moved to a new apartment with same cable ISP I can no longer get a DHCP-lease...
TommyC81 Networking Support 5 08-10-2006 03:26 PM
Comcast Cable Modem Problem
I am a long time Comcast customer in NW Indiana and have experienced a major drop in service since August 8th. I have had 6 technician vists, 3 linesman visits, 2 line technician visits, and the head of the local Comcast office out twice. I have covered most everything I can think of, so I now...
Dartmanrod Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 7 10-23-2005 04:40 AM