Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Router Disconnecting From The Internet

SOLVED 
2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  JimE 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here could give me some help or advice on fixing my issue with my internet. To make a long story short, for over 2 months now we have had the internet drop out from as soon as 5 minutes after being connected, and up to 3 hours when connected. When this happens, our speed will usually come back at half the speed it was and will only jump back up once every 100 or so disconnections. When the phone rings the internet will drop out as well.

Now to help with information on it, as well as a timeline, about 2 months ago when it first started we were told to wait a week because of outages in the area, and after that was another week because of more outages. After those initial 2 weeks were finished, we had to wait yet another week for a technician to come out to check the lines. Now I don't know what fuelled this idea, but the day the technician was meant to arrive my family had decided to cancel the appointment, and after 2 more days of horrible internet I managed to get yet another technician to come out, but we had to wait yet another week.

The technician came out, checked the line and said it was all fine, but replaced the socket in the wall just to be sure. This however did absolutely nothing and the internet still managed to drop out as well as the phone line having a lot of interference. Over the next week, I had to call up our ISP who had me change the router twice, and phone once, and try each device connected straight to the wall instead of using a splitter, but each device still didn't work as intended. I then was told to wait yet another 2 weeks for a technician to come out and check the lines for us again.

During this period, however, others in the house were talked into changing our ISP from Telstra over to Optus. Every step of the way I asked if this will help which I was ensured that it would, however earlier today when it finally connected through I was told that no, it wont help as Optus uses the Telstra lines, so nothing will change. On top of this the new Router that we have to use doesn't like to be connected straight to the wall and seems to require a splitter to even work. Even so old routers still have the same issue that the new router has.

I am completely out of ideas on what to do because the companies are all saying that nothing is wrong, the technicians say nothing is wrong, the devices are all brand new now, and yet our router still loses its DSL connection randomly.

As added info, we are on ADSL2 in Australia (NBN isn't in our area yet) and I am connected to the router with a cable, though it is the router itself which is losing connection, not the computer.

Thank you in advanced.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just as an FYI and for clarity:

There are two basic parts of a home network:

1) modem - connects to the ISP via telephone (ie: DSL), cable, fiber, etc. The modem connects to the ISP network and is used to transmit/receive data.

2) router - used to connect your devices to the ISP network. Your devices connect to the router, and the router connects to the modem.

Not long ago, these two devices were always two separate units, but there are now single units with both devices inside. If given the choice, always choose two separate units as it makes troubleshooting much easier.

Now, after having said that, it sounds like you are simply having an ISP issue. When you loose connectivity, what lights are lit on the modem (even combo units have the standard modem lights)?

And sadly, as the problem appears to be intermittent, the only way a tech is likely to see it, is if it happens to occur while he is onsite. I don't know what type of area you are in, but it may be worth talking to any neighbors that also have the same service to see if they are having problems as well. That could at least prove a bigger issue or narrow down the problem to just something at your location.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response, the only light that stays on is the power light, with both the internet and DSL lights turning off. The unfortunate thing is the area we live in only has older people who are gone a lot living around us, with families living a couple streets over and I believe are connected to an entirely different node.

#5 ·
Hey all, I thought I should mention that a technician has come by and has fixed things for us. He checked the phone, router, wall sockets, and the cable from the router to my computer and said all was fine. He then found out that the connectors outside that connect the houses in the area to the node were starting to corrode and replaced them all.

Hopefully this information can help someone out there who is having a similar issue as well, since we were told it is a job that not many technicians will want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.