Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

RG6 lenghth & modem

This is a discussion on RG6 lenghth & modem within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Here's my problem: I currently have cable tv, phone and internet from comcast. I would like to run a RG6

Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Here's my problem: I currently have cable tv, phone and internet from comcast. I would like to run a RG6 line to my garage ( about 220') for internet . How would I hook it up? Would I use a splitter at the main cable then 1 line to house computer and 1 line to garage computer. Do I need another modem at garage (or can you even use 2 modems?) Is this line too long to do this? Any help would be appriciated. Thanks Woodlot

Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support

Why not run Cat5e from your router to the garage?

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
JMPC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Management Team Networking

You can't use two modems. You can't get internet with RG6 but you can with Cat5e/6 as suggested by JMPC. 220' is OK.
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Registered Member

We tried cat5 before and couldn't get a signal. We assumed the run was too long. The wire was run underground thru plastic conduit and is still there. Is there a way to check the wire (continuity or something) ? As you guessed I'm not real computer savy but I get the basics. Thanks again
Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

You can buy/borrow a cable tester if you wanted to test the cable.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
JMPC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Management Team Networking

Usual issue with home run wire is folks don't know how to properly terminate each end.
if you google cat5e termination you can watch youtube videos on the proper methods.

100meters or 328ft is the limit so you are way under that.
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

RG6 won't work well at that length. Look for RG59 instead.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote