Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

Red Internet Light on Modem HELP

This is a discussion on Red Internet Light on Modem HELP within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok, I'm gonna try to be as clear as possible... Ok so, I don't know how this started, but it's

Old 06-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ok, I'm gonna try to be as clear as possible... Ok so, I don't know how this started, but it's been happening for the past months or more. Almost every time I am online on my PS3, the Internet light at the front of my modem has turned red, and when it does, it lasts for about 30 seconds or more. It gets really annoying and frustrating I've tried disconnecting the modem and the router, but that didn't work. Also, I forgot to mention, when the light turns red, you can't do anything on my computer either. When I try to access another webpage on the computer, it takes me to a Diagnostics page and says that the internet is down and that I need to check the phone jacks or to reset network devices, etc. I really don't know what the problem is. I need help PLEASE!!! Thanks in advanced!

Old 06-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Hi and welcome to TSF,

Please connect the computer up directly to the modem via an ethernet cable disconnecting the router from the modem are the issues still there.

Is this an ISP supplied modem?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

Who is the ISP? A red inet light is generally an indicator of PPPoE failure.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for replying... When I run full diagnostics on the Diagnostics page, it says DSL -------------- fail... so maybe something's wrong with the DSL cable?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

I take it you have the same issues when connecting direct to the modem?

It could be faulty.

Is the modem supplied to you by your ISP?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

Nope. The internet light hasn't turned red YET... I've had the computer directly connected to the modem for about 45 min. and nothing has happened. Also, I don't know what an ISP is... is it the internet provider?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:35 AM   #7
Moderator - Networking

My System

This happens with all devices?

It may be faulty.

If this is supplied to you from your ISP contact them and explain what is happening and request a new modem.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Registered Member

So, what exactly is an ISP? Also, what does faulty mean? Another thing: say that the DSL cable connected to the modem was the problem... Do I need to replace it?
Old 07-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
Moderator: Design

My System

ISP: Internet Service Provider. They typically provide the modem.

Try unplugging the router from the mains power for about thirty seconds, then plug it back in and reconnect all the cables to determine whether or not the problem is with the router. Sometimes things just happen with the Internet and no one can/will explain them.

Validate your Markup Validate your CSS Notepad++
Please use [HTML], [PHP], and [CODE] when posting code or markup.
I do not help by Private Message or e-mail. If for some reason I have over-looked a reply to a thread that I have previously replied to, then send me a message.
dm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
Moderator - Networking

My System

Yes sorry an ISP is as described above Comcast and Verizon are two such providers of a broadband service.

Do you have such a provider?

Yes replacing the ethernet cable to eliminate it as a possible source of your issue is advisable.

Faulty simply means your router is not working properly as it may be broken.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Registered Member

Umm ok, our internet provider is AT&T and we have a Motorola modem... I actually don't know if they supplied us with the modem. As a matter of fact, I don't know when we actually got the modem... Also, I strongly think that the DSL cable is the problem because when I land on that Diagnostics page, it says "No DSL Connection". In addition, the little clip on thing that makes the cable attach to the modem broke off... maybe that's the problem...?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Moderator - Networking

My System

Yes replace the ethernet cable it may not be making proper contact.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
Registered Member

Ok, thanks very much