Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

NOT ABLE TO CONNECT TO INTERNET

This is a discussion on NOT ABLE TO CONNECT TO INTERNET within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have an Dell Windows XP Computer....i recently moved from my parents house into my own apartment...when i install cable

Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

i have an Dell Windows XP Computer....i recently moved from my parents house into my own apartment...when i install cable and internet. i move my desktop computer into my home but for some reason it will not connect to the internet. its an yellow triangle at the bottom and it say "LOCAL AREA CONNECTIONS LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY" when i take my dell computer BACK TO my mother house it connects to the internet just fine. i reset ip address and resent winsock. i talk with my internet provider a thousand times now. i got a new ethernet cable and a new cable modem. STILL NOT ABLE TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET.... so i got my mother laptop and took it to my apartment and connect to the ethernet cable and the internet work just fine on the lap top but not the desktop!!! i need help please any one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Your Default Gateway is your Router. Unplug the power plug to the Modem and the Router. Plug the power into just the Modem (unless you have a modem/router combo) When all the lights come up, plug in the power to the Router (unless combo of course)
Now Go to Start/Run and type inetcpl.cpl and press enter/Connections/LAN Settings. Make sure all the boxes are unchecked. Now go to Start/Run and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Right click the Local Area connection/Properties scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP-IP)/Properties. Make sure Obtain an IP Address and DNS Server Address Automatically are both checked. Now go to Start/Run and type CMD and press enter. IN the Command Prompt type ipconfig /release and press enter. the IP Address changes to 0.0.0.0 Now type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. Now type ipconfig /renew. Now type ipconfig /all. You should have a new IP address try it again. If you still cannot connect please include the text output of your ipconfig /all in your next post

spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Can you post an ipconfig /all for us to review.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hey sorry it took me so long to reply back. I was in the hospital for 3weeks, i just had a beautiful baby girl. :-) ok but i did the steps and still internet explorer cannot display the webpage message. Also i have just a modem. they told me i didnt need a router since i just only got cable and internet. Let me also add for some reason when i go to network connections....and i double click on da local area connection 3...another box pop up and under the General tab, in the Activity box my sent and receive packets is really low! for example its showing sent 54 and recieved 27...but connect to the lap top it show like thousands recieved and sent packets!!!!! i thought i had added that in my first message, but i notice i didnt. But ok here is a text of what happen when i did ipconfig /all:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:
Connections-specific DNS SUffix.:
Description...........: Intel<R> 82566DC GIgabit Network Connection
Physical Address.......: 00-16-76-B6-29-F9
Dhcp Enabled...........: YEs
Autoconfiguration Enabled........:Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address..........169.254.128.32
Subnet Mask...........: 25.255.0.0
Default Gateway.....:
Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Yes packets will be low with limited connectivity.

Can you please re-post the ipconfig /all again as it does not show everything.

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.