Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Network Connections

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Fred Garvin 
#1 ·
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Model X300 running windows XP. I can not dectect any networks at all to connect to. It worked prior to this message, but now nothing. Seems to me something got turned off and is not allowing me to connect. As you well know---no internet. Can someone help me clear up this issue.

tcampanella :uhoh:

#3 ·
Re: No Networks

Go to Start/Run and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. In Network Connections is your Wireless Disabled? (eg) has a Red X? Right click it and choose Enable, if enabled already the choose Connect.
You can also Right click and choose Diagnose.
Power Cycle your Router/Modem (eg) unplug the power cables, wait 15 seconds and plug the modem in first if a separate device and then after all the lights are on, plug in the Router.
Do other devices on your network connect wirelessly?
If other devices connect to your wireless network but not this computer you may be infected.

#4 ·
Go to Start > Run then type devmgmt.msc expand the Network Adapters look for any issues with your adapter for example is there a red ! or a yellow ?

Also check for any updated drivers on Lenovo's webite

#8 ·

Lenovo Thinkpad. Model: X300 Wireless Switch is on. Don't kmow about wireless card. It was finding wireless networks with no problem. In an attempt to connect to my verizon jetpack I must have inadvertingly turned something off. Is that possible? If so what should I do next?

#10 ·

Do you have a wireless icon in your taskbar by the clock?
Go to Start/Run and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. In the Network Connections, the Local Area Connection is your wired Ethernet/LAN connection, do you see a wireless icon there? If so, is there a Red mark over it (eg) Disabled, if so, right click it and Enable it.
If there is no Wireless icon in Network Connections or no wireless icon in your taskbar
Restart the computer and boot into Setup (Bios) by pressing F2. look for Wireless and see if it is Disabled, if so using your Enter and Arrow key Enable it
After starting go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager are there any devices with yellow flags? If so, these devices need drivers installed.
On an internet computer, go to the Lenovo web page for your model Laptops :: ThinkPad X Series laptops :: X300 Laptop (ThinkPad) - Lenovo Support (US) and download the Intel Wireless Network driver, and any other drivers you need in the Device Manager. Save it to a USB Flash drive and install it on the troubled computer.
If you have wireless icon in your taskbar, and under Network Connections, and it is enabled but you still can't connect, Power Cycle (eg) unplug the power and plug it back in after 15 seconds) Your Router and Modem and try again. If you still can't connect, then you are probably infected. Please click on the link in my signature for Virus/Malware Help do those things and post in that section forum and not here please.

#15 ·
:sad: I have gottin pretty fed up about this problem. Sooooo I dumped the hard drive. After doing so I realized that the wireless connections were back. Now that problem has been solved. However I still cannot connect to the internet. Whwn I use cmd prompt and type in "ipconfig", Sometimes it says the wireless media is disconnected and somtimes it gives me the IP address and sub mask. Now What?

#16 ·
I realized that the wireless connections were back. Now that problem has been solved. However I still cannot connect to the internet.
If you have a wireless icon in your taskbar by the clock, double clicking it will show available wireless networks to join. Join your wireless network and type your wifi password.Once you have your Ethernet cable and your WiFi connected, you can go to the Command Prompt, and type ipconfig /all and press enter to show you are connected.
You can also download and run WiFi inspector to show your network connection and it's strength.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...-and-wireless-connectivity-issues-573730.html

#17 ·
Still no connection. Tried ethernet again. No go. Looked at wireless networks. Tried to connect again and it told me it was connected. When I tried to open the home page it told me there was no connection. I noticed that 2 of the wireless connections had images of a small padlocks that was locked. One was the wireless connection and the other was a local area connection. Do you know what that means? Signal strength is 100%. :frown:

#19 ·
First, which wireless connection program are you using to connect to a wireless network, the Windows default client or a 3rd party program supplied by Lenovo? You can only use one.

If you can view a list of available wireless networks, I would try deleting any saved connection profiles and start over.

#21 ·
If you can view a list of available wireless networks, I would try deleting any saved connection profiles and start over.
Did you try the suggestion quoted above?

If you have a wireless icon in your taskbar by the clock, double clicking it will show available wireless networks to join. Join your wireless network and type your wifi password.Once you have your Ethernet cable and your WiFi connected, you can go to the Command Prompt, and type ipconfig /all and press enter to show you are connected.
You can also download and run WiFi inspector to show your network connection and it's strength.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...-and-wireless-connectivity-issues-573730.html
A link in the quoted post above was posted so that you can follow the instructions on the page it links to. If you wanna get help with your connectivity problems I strongly advise you follow all pre-posting instructions given and provide the feedback required. Without following those instructions, we have very little information to go on and that doesn't help any of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.