Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

Need advice on mobile broadband gaming

This is a discussion on Need advice on mobile broadband gaming within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am soon going to purchase my own personal phone plan, I am about to invest alot of money

Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I am soon going to purchase my own personal phone plan, I am about to invest alot of money into getting a really nice gaming laptop

Where I am going to be staying will not have any kind of wifi or Internet readily available, so I need to invest in a mobile broadband device or hotspot or something.

I would like the broadband provider to be the same as my cellphone carrier to make the billing easier. So with that I've been looking at the top 3, verizon, AT&T and sprint

I will be looking at playing games such as wow, swtor and the such on my laptop, so I'll need the best connection, and I'm not exactly how fast I'll burn through data. So I'll estimate that I'll play for about 20+ hours a week

What devices are the best?

Is it possible to use the 4g speed of my phone to play the games I'm looking at and will the data plan be enough?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Look at the banwidth your game/s require per pc then look at the bandwidth your isp supplies you. Contact the isp if you are unsure how much bandwidth upload/download theyare supplying you.

Which is the greater if game bandwidth is greater than isp supplier than upgrade will be required.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello,

In addition, you may also go to each Provider's site and do a comparison on different plans or package that they have available.

If you will be gaming heavily online it might be best to buy a USB Modem device rather than tether from your phone, the tethering option from phone might be very limited in bandwidth. Verizon has a MiFi device where you can connect to up to 5 wireless devices.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote