Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My wireless connection keeps dropping???

1K views 17 replies 2 participants last post by  Old Rich 
#1 ·
Hi, I hope I'm putting this in the right section. My issue is that my wireless connection keeps dropping. It still says it's connected even when it drops and I'm not sure how to fix it. My OS is Windows XP and I'm using a Netopia 3d Reach usb pen drive.

#2 ·
and welcome to the Forum

Please Download and run this Xirrus WiFi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here. For Vista and Windows 7, 8 you can use the Windows Snipping Tool

#6 ·
You have no security on the router so anyone could be using it without your knowledge. You can change the channel by going into wireless settings. You can get owners manual that shows how to do that at the manufacturers support site.

Signal strength can be tricky . . you can try moving either the pc or router so that they are closer together. Try to place the router so that there is minimum of walls, mirrors and anything that transmits radio signals.

You can also use a range extender to expand the range of the router

#15 ·
Alright, I've ran into another problem. The are 2 other pc's on the network that now can't access the internet since I changed the Network Authentication from open to shared. The same thing happened to me, but I found the option to change the authentication from open to shared in the properties of the west4061 connection. The problem is that the other 2 pc's are using Windows 10 and I have no idea where to look to change theirs from open to shared. I still haven't changed the security from WEP yet because of this little issue. Where should I look to change the settings on the other 2 pc's cause I'm not familiar with Windows 10 what so ever?

#17 ·
Alright, this has become a bigger problem than I anticipated. The original problem of my connection keeps dropping has been fixed, so thanks for that Rich. But I have some stuff I need to attend to right now so I will be back at a later date. Thanks again for your help Rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.