Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

How to get most bandwidth?

This is a discussion on How to get most bandwidth? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok im kinda a newb not sure if this is teh right section Ok so i live with my family

Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ok im kinda a newb not sure if this is teh right section

Ok so i live with my family because its the holidays (college student) and we have about 6 devices that use our crappy internet. i have my computer connected to the modem while everyone else uses WiFI. my computer is upstairs right next to the modem. When my sister uses our downstairs computer i can still be able to play games fine. The second my sister or brother use their laptops for internet my ping (according to Xfire a game tracking website) jumps to about 600-700 ping which = unplayable gameplay and when both are using it its around 1400 ping. Is there anyway i can make it so most of teh bandwidth goes to me. My games barely use any bandwidth. It really annoys me sometimes when i want to game but cant because they are being bandwidth hogs.

Thankyou for any help i can get

Old 01-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Management Team Networking

Sorry there is nothing you can configure on a modem.

Now if that was a router and had QoS [google it] you could configure it but odds are since you have a direct connect this is as good as its going to get.
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bandwidth sapping issue
Hi guys, slight problem with my bandwidth, looking to see if anyone has had experience with something similar. Namely, the bandwidth meter I have is saying that I'm wasting ~100MB of bandwidth per hour (minimum) without really doing anything. During this idle time, networking is on, WLAN is...
postscript Networking Support 9 08-08-2011 08:32 AM
Comcast 250GB/Month bandwidth cap for residential customers!!
Comcast FAQ regarding this issue: Frequently Asked Questions about Excessive Use This is not new news to most people, and I'm aware of that, but it just so happened that this month I have exceeded my monthly limit. Last night I stumbled upon an article that mentioned this bandwidth cap, did...
Rotanimod Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 4 06-26-2011 08:12 PM
Limt Bandwidth on home network
Hi, I have a WRT54G v5 wireless router. on the network i got 2 laptops(wireless) and this desktop(wired). My brother likes to "abuse" the bandwidth making it unbearable for me to search the web... I was just wondering if there are any (free) tools out there that allow me to limit bandwidth to...
Labarr15 Networking Support 4 06-18-2011 09:18 AM
USB Controller Bandwidth Exceeded - Can I remove System Reserved Bandwidth?
Hey there, I've got a little issue. I recently purchased a Razer Megalodon which is a super expensive and beefy headset with 7.1 surround sound. The only problem is it takes up 62% of my USB bandwidth. So while I'm using it I'll get a Bandwidth Exceeded error message followed by this window:...
one of them Removable Media Drives 6 05-05-2011 05:59 PM
How do you steal Bandwidth?
This question may seem a little odd, but I hope to gather some opinion on a networking issue. The question; is it possible to steal bandwidth and more specifically how would this be done? To discover the possibilities and the probable ways of perpetrating bandwidth theft may actually help my...
zimbandrew Networking Support 2 02-26-2011 08:04 AM