Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

How do I reset my Linksys WRT160N IP address?

This is a discussion on How do I reset my Linksys WRT160N IP address? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I wanted to reset my IP address, so I called my cable internet service provider and they walked me through

Old 08-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

I wanted to reset my IP address, so I called my cable internet service provider and they walked me through the process. I unplugged the ethernet cable from my router and connected my computer directly to my modem. Then, I unplugged the coax cable from my modem, plugged in back in again, and within Windows did ipconfig/renew in the command prompt. This successfully changed my IP address.

Then, I ran my wires back into the router again (instead of plugging the computer directly into the modem). To my surprise, the old IP address was back again! So, I went into linksys 192.168.1.1 screen to release the IP address and started the process over again.

I got a new IP address once again, but now the Linksys router can't seem to figure out the new IP address so nothing works going through the router. What do I do?

Old 08-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Connect the computer to the modem again, this time take note of the ipconfig /all command

You should see your new IP and MAC address.

Go back to the router and use the clone mac address feature and enter the mac address of the computer. The router should appear to the modem as the current computer connected and should retain the new address.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] my internet keep getting disconnecting connecting
Hi.I'm new on this forum.I got problem with my internet connection.It keeps dropping then connecting by itself.I cant download anything because in the middle it just drops.My connection is wireless and is cable.My other housemates who have laptops like me have no problem with connection.I took my...
jumrose123 Networking Support 52 03-21-2014 06:18 PM
[SOLVED] network connections list empty
Hello, I was on xp forum for a while because of a bad virus problem. Lucky enough, with some help I got my .exe fixed so I can now open most of the programs. Im not sure how to describe this, but I had Windows antivirus pro in the computer and I think I've removed it but it caused multiple issues....
silvijamck Resolved HJT Threads 62 07-06-2011 02:04 PM
For Ried
Hi there is a attachment ark.zip with 'dds' and 'ark'. . DDS (Ver_11-05-19.01) - NTFSx86 Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_13 Run by Owner at 22:01:08 on 2011-05-29 Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.959.243 . AV: McAfee Anti-Virus and...
Nela09 Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 78 06-09-2011 08:32 PM
google redirect!
Hi there, I'm having problems with a virus/spyware that is apparently causing google results to redirect to something unrelated when clicked on. A quick search tells me this is somewhat common. As is these other cases, none of my four antivirus/malware/spyware programs are detecting it. What...
jimmybean Resolved HJT Threads 22 02-22-2011 07:28 AM
virus infection
i'm dealing with a computer that has been infected with the "your computer has been infected, click here to download antivirus softward" popup virus. is there any way at all i can deal with this without wiping the hard drive and installing the os all over again? the virus doesn't allow any...
jillocity Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 4 01-04-2011 10:48 AM