Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

Help! Trouble Accessing PeoplePc Homepage

This is a discussion on Help! Trouble Accessing PeoplePc Homepage within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. One has to wonder if the acceleration feature is part of this problem. I have to confess, I've never used

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 09:03 AM   #41
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

One has to wonder if the acceleration feature is part of this problem. I have to confess, I've never used acceleration software, being on broadband for all this time, it seems pointless. I've seen it on a dial-up here once, and the graphics quality sucked, which is how they achieve the acceleration.

There are lots of dial-up services, but sad to say, since i don't use them, I don't really have any basis for comparision. Personally, I use PGHConnect as my backup dial ISP. It has a real advantage, for limited usage it's free! I only use it if I'm traveling and there's no broadband available, or I need to test access to my network from outside on the Internet. I have to say, when I've needed it, it's worked 100% for me. I've never downloaded any software of any kind to use a dial-up ISP, and I consider any ISP that requires me to use their software of any kind to be 100% unsatisfactory!

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 11-26-2005, 10:08 PM   #42
duh
Registered Member

My System

Grin

QUOTE=JamesO]The reason behind the ping test was to determine network latency, which can cause quite a few issues. Many of these ultra low cost ISP's oversubscribe their networks to save money, but in the long run the end users suffer greatly. Unfortunately, I did not try pinging PeoplePC before I posted my reply. PeoplePC does not respond to Pings! It is possible they even block Pings and Tracert through their network??

Try Pinging mail.peoplepc.com which does respond, also enter mail.peoplepc.com -t and watch how much the ping times vary. They should be consistent, but you might see wild time swings and time outs!

I guess you will need to Traceroute and then try to Ping the first hop in your network path. Maybe try Pinging www.techsupportforum.com and Tracert www.techsupportforum.com and see what happens. This server responds.

Pinged mailpeoplepc.com. Pinged at min. 125m ms, max 151 ms, avg 134 ms.

Pinged mailpeoplepc.com -t. times varied between 125-232 on 1st ping, and re-tested between 125-135.

Tracert on mail.peoplepc.com: Could not find host. Performed tracert again:
1st request timed out.
Then we're off to:
alerondial.net (108 ms)
aleron.net (103 ms)
cogentco.com (111 ms)
then 3 trips to:
earthlink.net (127/127/132 ms) until finally we're at
mailpeoplepc.com (126 ms)

Pinged www.techsupportforum.com. Pinged at min. 156 ms, max 170 ms, avg 161 ms.

Tracert on www.techsupportforum.com.
1st request timed out.
Then we're off to:
aleron.net (103 ms)
atlas.cogentco.com, 3 times (113 ms, 123 ms, 126 ms)
VirginiaEquinix.savvis.net (163 ms)
Washington.savvis.net (163 ms)
Chicago.savvis.net, 3 times (150, 149, 155 ms)
LiquidWeb, twice (164, 163 ms) then to site address:
209.59.143.56. (162 ms).

I've never performed these tests in my life, until today, don't know what latency is, and don't know how to interpret these results, but since I can't cut-and-paste from Run, I've hand-copied the results here as painstakingly as possible, in the hope that you'll know how to interpret them for me.

PeoplePC uses POP3 and has web mail access. They do not require Outlook Express, they just list it as one mail interface??

The last time I ran the disc was over a month ago. I don't recall if Outlook Express is their default, or if you can choose which POP3 client to use.

Do you have problems with accessing your PeoplePC email? Does this work without issue?

I have no problems accessing my email once I'm online, even if I have no Homepage to access it from; I just open Outlook Express from my computer's Start List.

Here is my suggestion, dump PeoplePC for your E-mail (nothing to do on your part other than quit using PeoplePC for your mail). Get a FREE Gmail account, which supports POP3 at no charge so you can use Outlook Express, Outlook, or any other e-mail Client that supports POP3. Gmail also supports Web mail as well. Real easy to set up Outlook or Outlook Express, all you need to do is follow the directions. This way when you cancel PeoplePC all the good folks at TSF can still send you e-mails seamlessly!! You can even set Outlook Express up to pluck mail from multiple accounts at the same time and send from your choice of mail accounts. Then you do not even need to fool with PeoplePC home page and I would set Google up as your default browser home page.

Hhhhmmm. I have Yahoo (Ypop), but I don't like web-mail! It's just a back-up, should my other email crash and burn, for whatever reason.

PeoplePC has web-mail, but if I were to log into it right now, it would have little to no record at all of the mail I've sent and received in the last month, using Outlook Express. I find that very jarring, and try to avoid using it, for that reason alone!

I've heard G-mail's praises sung by many users, it's supposed to be top-notch, maybe I'll try that. I like the idea of setting Google as my Homepage, since I spend half my Internet time on Google, anyway, researching this, looking up that.

Interesting Google fact: If you type Trouble Accessing PeoplePC Homepage into Google's Searchbar, my thread on Tech Support Forum is the first result! Hopefully this is good for business, for you guys!

Next I would see if you could upgrade your Windows XP. I am unaware of any versions that are not upgradable, maybe I have missed something? MS will even send you a FREE SP2 upgrade disk in the mail so you do not need to worry about a large download over dial up.

I hope you don't mind my saying this here; my copy of XP is hijacked! Hope this answers your question about why I can't update my OS.

If you can live without the acceleration, I would also download and use Mozilla Firefox as a browser. I would assume there is some incompatibility with XP SP0 and some of the more current security measures? Maybe even your modem has some issue, as you did mention problems with other dial up services. Replacement dial up modems can be purchased for as low as $5 these days.

I could try Mozilla again. I've had it in the past, but as it was never my default browser with any of these ISP's, I never used it much, and finally uninstalled it to speed up the compter. I could download it again!

Thanks, James and johnwill, for all of your help!

Old 11-27-2005, 05:01 AM   #43
TSF Team Emeritus, Gearheads & Networking Team

I just do not know what to say. We have folks out here trying to help and part of the problem is the way YOU operate!

I kind of figured you might not have a legit copy of the OS when you indicated you could not upgrade it. Part of your problem may be directly related to this issue?

1. Your OS, your computer, your decision.
2. Make your default browser page Google.
3. Make you email Yahoo or Gmail. You have Ypops so you know how to use POP 3 with Outlook Express.

Your connectivity (ping/tracert) seems in line with what I would expect from dial up.

Anyway here is my real simple advice, forget about PeoplePC home page as it does does not appear to offer you much value from what you have indicated, other that you are probably used to AOL and like all the boxes of trash (or eye candy depending on your point of view). It is really not required for you to function on the Internet from what I can tell, so I just do not understand why it is so important, other than the PeoplePC set up disc sets your default browser page up when you installed the software.

Good luck.

JamesO
Old 11-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #44
duh
Registered Member

My System

[QUOTE=JamesO]

I just do not know what to say. We have folks out here trying to help and part of the problem is the way YOU operate!

I kind of figured you might not have a legit copy of the OS when you indicated you could not upgrade it. Part of your problem may be directly related to this issue?

1. Your OS, your computer, your decision.
2. Make your default browser page Google.
3. Make you email Yahoo or Gmail. You have Ypops so you know how to use POP 3 with Outlook Express.

I really hesitated to tell you about my operating system and hoped you'd infer well enough from my suggesting Bill Gates would faint and all that. My boyfriend got me the computer as a Christmas present last year, with the OS already installed. I'm ashamed, ashamed, I know, it's horrible! I didn't know what he'd done, myself, until I commented to the boyfriend that this was an awful extravagant gift from him--he's so cheap, he looks like he'll cry just buying some McDonald's. Well, when I pressed him about how expensive OS's are (he'd put the computer together himself, at low cost) he finally 'fessed up that it wasn't all it seemed. That, I finally realized (late last winter) was the reason I couldn't upgrade, which I'd been trying desperately to do, until he finally came clean. As you might imagine, I'm poor as a church mouse--I wouldn't be running on a less-than-Bill-Gates approved system if I could afford to.
At any rate, that's not your problem! Thank you for the help you've given me. I'll take the advice I've gotten here and put it to use one way or another, I'm sure. Maybe Santa will be good to me this year, and give me the REAL OS! Thanks to all of you guys, you've been cool. As soon as I can figure out how to mark my thread solved, I'll go ahead and do that.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:17 PM   #45
duh
Registered Member

My System

Grin

Update: PeoplePC's home page now shows up, with no help from me. My guess? The folks at P-PC have been reading about themselves in the Google Search results, thanks to this thread, so they looked into the problem and solved it. It's absolutely solid now--I get their home page regardless of whether their cookies are present or missing, even after restarts and cold boots, and after multiple disconnects and reconnects, on my part, in a single usage block.

Regardless, I've gone ahead and installed Mozilla Firefox, and have since had my eyes opened about Google--have any of you guys checked out this link: ? After reading it I changed Mozilla's home page from Google to . I would've disabled Google's cookie from day one, if I'd known a year ago what I just found out.

In the meantime,:3-laugh1: I have a few questions, and hope I'm still in the right thread to ask them. If not, please let me know that a new thread needs to be started!

My 1st question is, if I decide to stick with Mozilla, can I safely uninstall Internet Explorer, without causing any problems with my OS? If the answer is Yes, can you tell me step-by-step, what is the best/safest way to perform an Uninstall?

My 2nd question is, Mozilla indicated after set-up that it's now my default browser. But it doesn't open until I travel to a different website than peoplepc.com. Is there any way I can make peoplepc.com's home page dissapear, and set Mozilla's home page in it's place? Or is that too much to ask?

My 3rd question is, I thought Mozilla imported my e-mail as well as my IE settings during set-up, but when I click on Read Mail, under Tools in Mozilla, nothing happens. If I click on New Message, under Tools, Outlook Express opens. The more I write this, the more I think this is a Sticky and should be answered elsewhere.

Also, I never could figure out how to close this thread, so if this message is going to be moved anyway, do you have a way to mark it closed yourselves? It's times like this I think my username describes me to a T--duh!!! Actually, it's described me pretty well all along, esp. where johnwill's concerned.

Thanks for the help, and if anyone's kind enough to help me with the above questions, could you let me know where the new thread is so I can read it? :Peace!
Old 11-28-2005, 11:22 PM   #46
duh
Registered Member

My System

Red Faced

The missing links above (besides me!) are http://www.google-watch.org and http://clusty.com.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:19 PM   #47
duh
Registered Member

My System

Thumbs Up

My computer completely crashed Friday night. I'm happy it did--it crashed as I edited my registry to clean out the last of AOL's 5 million or so self-replicating files--I was editing both by hand and through downloaded programs (regclean.exe, System Cleaner, etc.). No matter how I cleaned it up, I always had this nagging feeling that I wasn't getting it all. The crash solved that problem. I had to reformat my disc and start from scratch, which delighted me. Nothing like a fresh install. Computer's much quicker now, and I no longer have to live in fear of the garbage installed with AOL.

I answered my own question about PeoplePC's Homepage by reading some user reviews on the Internet. Turns out the Homepage is wired into PeoplePC's program files in such a way that it is immoveable, unremoveable, and cannot be closed to save that much bandwidth while you surf. It's just how the software's set up. According to user reviews, PeoplePC really sucks the big one, and my problem (missing Homepage, which is still happening now and then) is quite a common one. PeoplePC gives everyone who posted reviews at these sites the same advice as me: Defragment. Re-install. Clean temp files. Where do they get this garbage from? Almost anyone who can point and click would do all that before even thinking of contacting their Tech Support. I've finally decided they're all a bunch of idiots.

Since I had to start from zero anyway, I decided to try Avant's browser instead. It's really unbelievable. Tabbed browsing, and for 56k dialers like me, it's a bandwidth-saving godsend, with tools to block ads, urls, cookies, Flash, activeX, even pictures. If I wanted to, I could block everything and just soar, even with lousy dial-up. My usual transfer rate (tested) is 50.6k, with 49.2 being the lowest, and I have P-PC's acceleration set to it's highest speed, so browsing is really, really quick now, with Avant blocking as many as 10-15 ads, per page visited.

So, since you guys have done all you can to help me with the Homepage, I just wanted to let you and anyone else reading this, that it is basically a lost cause until P-PC does something about it themselves. And they won't. It's dial-up, cheap dial-up at that, an offshoot of Earthlink, and I'm sure they don't give 2 shakes if there's Homepage problems or not. When things were going well and I was getting one, I thought maybe they'd read about themselves and looked into it, but ha-ha, I was a fool.

These forums are great, I've learned a lot reading other topics listed; keep up the good work!
Old 12-25-2005, 04:08 PM   #48
Microsoft MVP

My System

Well, I did tell you from the get-go that the service didn't seem all that great. Hopefully, you can get broadband one of these days, you'll never go back to dial-up!

Old 02-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #49
Registered Member

I have had PeoplePC for around 3 years. At first I used their dialer and after a while I found that you don't need to use their dialer. Just set Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Opera up with your user name and password and they all will work. duh, make sure that your home page is set to: www.home.peoplepc.com and it should work for you. Depending on which phone number I dial into I occassionaly will get the "cannot find page" also. As far as their dialer, it's is horse hockey. They claim that ir will get you the fastest connection possible. If that was true why does it always dial the same number when you dial out? I have always gotten on at 49,333 for 3 years and about 2 weeks ago all my connections have dropped down to 30,600 and 42,600. My download speeds have dropped from 5,400 bps to 3,4000 bps. I sent the tech support 3 emails and never got one reply. I even sent 2 emails to the customer support, got one reply that promissed someone would get back to me and they never have. The other emial I sent has never gotten a reply either. I have noticed that in the past when I email tech support that I would not get a reply until the next day. I also noticed that the persons replying all have Indian first names which lead me to beleive that their tech support is in India. Well I enjoyed 3 years of PeoplePC and I guess I have worn out my welcome with them so this month I am dropping them and going with internet cable thru my cable provider.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #50
duh
Registered Member

My System

Thumbs Up

Thanks for your message. Tonight is one of those nights I hate PeoplePC very much. I got online on my first try, and got their home page, but from my unscientific research, P-PC has two "modules" that help it do it's thing, called Bart Shells: one module allows the dial-up to take place, getting and keeping you online; the other controls graphic speed and compression. The latter has been giving me hell lately. Right now I'm online with graphics completely compressed, and no way to restore them because one of the Bart Shells is having a bad day.

How I dial up makes no difference, and the fact that you suggested I "make sure my home page is set to People PC" shows you don't know something about their software: you get People PC's home page automatically. There is no getting rid of it. They make you see it each time you go online, in other words. What happens in my case is the dialer works, so I get online, but because their systems are overloaded, I can't get the home page to display. As Johnwill and James O have taught me, it doesn't really matter. Every program I use off of P-PC's home page, such as Outlook Express and my browser, I can open manually from my 'puter's All Programs List or Taskbar. The only bad part is without the home page, I cannot restore my graphics to their original quality, another quirk built into their screwy software.

The thing with P-PC tech support is, there is none unless you pay a $1.95 a minute for it, and that's strictly by phone. James O, a moderator of this thread, helped me find their online tech support back when getting a home page seemed important to me. It consists of an email address and some pages outlining what to do if you have such-and-such problem. The what-to-do pages are full of obvious advice and offered no help. The emails P-PC sent back to me regarding my missing home page were a joke, with, again, overly-obvious advice: defrag and clear the cache. Well, I defragged and cache-dumped 567,345,678,903 times before I even wrote to Tech Support Forums, much less to P-PC themselves. I'm no computer geek but I know enough to feel their online advice is dumbed down and inadedequate for people having big problems, like I always am. Have I ever called them? No. I hear you don't get your money's worth, and I'll be d****ed if I'll pay $10.95 a month for crappy service AND another $1.95 a minute to figure out how to fix it.

As I informed Johnwill recently in another thread in Modems/Satellites, the only good thing about P-PC is I never get booted offline. The service is reliable, and I'm thankful for that, because downloads on 56 k take time, and I'm often on the 'puter for hours and hours writing and editing pages for my web-site,
http://marahs-aol-log.livejournal.com/, which is the story of why no one should use AOL, the crappiest ISP to ever dial up on Earth. I wrote the first page of it on Aeonity.com when I was having the worst of my P-PC problems, leading me to write to Johnwill for help, and the rest is well...it's somewhere in this thread.

I am upgrading to broadband in March, a fact I'm so happy about that I told Johnwill, too. I'm sure JW is happy for me, he hates dial-up or any ISP that comes with software. After a sort of Helen Keller-like struggle in which I would not see it through his eyes, the light-bulb finally went off and I got his message. Lesson well-learned.

Glad to see you're upgrading, too. Whatever you do, don't get AOL for broadband. Broadband works fine without you having to layer any so called "service" over it, such as AOL's. Theyll charge an arm and a leg for any plan you take, and all they'll do in return is install software that slows your computer down, and they'll never let you cancel, should you finally see the light.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #51
duh
Registered Member

My System

Pin

Also Wahoospa, as to your problem with KB speed dropping: since the onset of your problem is so recent, it could be your phone line. Sometimes they go bad. About a year ago a phone line inside my house got water damage. The phones stopped working and the line had to be replaced.

The problem could also be a program running in the backround on your computer. Spyware is good at setting these up to "watch" your online activity and sometimes turn your computer into a "zombie PC". I had a New.Net infection--thanks, AOL!--that froze mine up. Johnwill and James O are much more the experts than me, but if you think that may be a problem you should run Hijack This! and submit your results to Tech Support's Hijack This! forum to see if anything's clogging your computer up. Make sure your ant-spy and anti-virus programs are running and up to date. I have a friend who hasn't updated Spybot on his computer since the program was invented. He uses Nortonn but never updates that, either. Then he wonders why his hard drive is in shreds and his DVD-ROM makes his computer crash. He spends more time replacing hardware and formatting than he does going online...but if I tell him to update his anti-whatever programs, he just shrugs.

I've used People PC for 5 months and my connection speed has never varied--50.6 k come rain or shine, BUT my download speeds vary wildly. For AVG downloads the average is between 4-11 kbps. For Microsoft, forget it--I just hit "Save" and check back in a few days. For most other downloads it swings between 1 and 5 kbps. Yes...I get an entire kilobite a second. Internet2 measures download speed in GIGAbytes per second, and here I am, going 1 kilobite, 2 kilobites...ahhh, finally...the THIRD kilobyte...this download should only take another year.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #52
duh
Registered Member

My System

Grin

I have high-speed now! My transfer rate is 7mbs, or as my provider says, 125 times faster than dial-up. I've been upgrading the 'puter a lot lately so my reformats are almost constant. Until I got high-speed (yesterday) I didn't re-install Java Runtime since it takes too long: a three hour download on dial-up, too much of a drag. I finally downloaded it last night. In three seconds. I almost fell out of my computer chair. God I'm so happy.

I want to say thank you for the advice you gave me over the course of my thread. You made me understand what no one else ever got through my head: that with high-speed you don't *need* any ISP. What freedom. My high-speed package includes Earthlink but I told the service tech that I chose not to install it, and he was fine with that. Now I'm using Firefox to get on the Web. Firefox linked me to a download for the Thunderbird email client, which configured Outlook Express for me so I'll never sign on to People PC again to get my email. Thanks for steering me the right way. Keep up the great work!
Old 04-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #53
Microsoft MVP

My System

Is this where we all sing the chorus of "I told you so"?

Glad to hear you got broadband, but I have to caution you on one point. You're not totally spoiled, and can never go back to dial-up access!

Closed Thread