Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

Facebook Redirect to Wikimedia page

This is a discussion on Facebook Redirect to Wikimedia page within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am starting to have an issue with Facebook. I will be on the page then try to post a

Old 08-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

I am starting to have an issue with Facebook. I will be on the page then try to post a comment. It refuses. When I try to reload the page, it redirects to Wikimedia.

Because I have the WRT160N Router by Cisco, I tried the fix listed on this forum, but it does not work:

WRT160N V3 has serioius DNS issues - Cisco Home Community

My husband is not having the issues that I currently am having for some reason. I have run MalwareBytes and Avast! (both updated to latest version). I am using a wireless connection, just like my husband is. The one difference between his computer and mine is that I have to set up a static IP for my computer. It doesn't allow the router to automatically assign one.

Is there anyone that might be able to point me to another fix? I am using Windows XP Service Pack 3

Old 08-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Hi and welcome to TSF!

Have you tried clearing your cache/cookies in the browser?

Gaming troubleshooting steps.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Jason09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yep. I use CCleaner to get rid of all the junk, including the Facebook cookies. It is a WONDERFUL program to clear cache from the browser, java, flash, and other programs.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Have you tried power cycling the device?

Gaming troubleshooting steps.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Jason09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

mskanse - I do not recommend Ccleaner, clearing cache, cookies if those are what you call junk that's ok, but do not use it to fix registry. Have a read here:
Why I don’t use registry cleaners | Ed Bott
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskanse View Post
Yep. I use CCleaner to get rid of all the junk, including the Facebook cookies. It is a WONDERFUL program to clear cache from the browser, java, flash, and other programs.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

mskanse, try this: Open a command prompt - click the Start button, go to Programs, Accessories, and right click on Command Prompt. Select Run as administrator.

At the prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter

Next, type (or paste) netsh interface ip delete arpcache

Try the webpage again.

I agree 110% with 2xg about using registry cleaners, but the using just the basic temporary files, cookies options with CCleaner is ok. Just know what you're removing or don't remove it.

Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
Registered Member

Already tried the "flushdns" command. I will try the second part when I get the problem again (it is sporadic).

I have cycled our router a few times, so that hasn't helped.

CCleaner is used to clear out the different cache folders on my computer. I almost never delete programs on my computer, so the registry cleaner never really pulls up anything.

I used to use Hijack This to scan my computer, but never found much of a use for it after all. I consider myself to be a little bit of a techie...I used to do tech support for a printer company (including networking support).

Thanks for your help....I will keep this updated if I still have the issue. It seems to happen when I have been logged into FB for a long time.