Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

Eee PC Netbook/Linksys Router - won't connect to Internet

This is a discussion on Eee PC Netbook/Linksys Router - won't connect to Internet within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just got my first wireless toy, as described in "Title". Although, all systems say "excellent connection, etc," it won't

Old 09-27-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

I just got my first wireless toy, as described in "Title". Although, all systems say "excellent connection, etc," it won't connect to the Internet. I have gone through all of the troubleshooting info and I still can't get it to connect. What am I doing wrong? Have had it several weeks and put it away out of frustration; I paid for it, would like to learn to use it.

Regards,
Looking4trth

Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

What's the exact make/model of the router, and what version of Windows is the netbook running?

Does the netbook connect using a wired connection?

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework. For machines with no Internet connection, download this NET Framework 3.5 Full Package on another machine and transfer it with removable media to the problem machine.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #3

Assuming that it has connected to the router, I would try pinging the gateway. If that works, then I would make sure your dns is correct - also, check your hosts file.
Paul

Mod edit: Remove advertising link.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP

My System

Well, since it's a new device, hard to believe the HOSTS file has any issues yet.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwill View Post
Well, since it's a new device, hard to believe the HOSTS file has any issues yet.
It's hard to believe that you would post a response that is so useless to me. I live in an extremely rural area and we always have "ISSUES" with connections; even the OLD hosts.

Regards,
Looking4trth
Old 09-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
What's the exact make/model of the router, and what version of Windows is the netbook running?

Does the netbook connect using a wired connection?

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework. For machines with no Internet connection, download this NET Framework 3.5 Full Package on another machine and transfer it with removable media to the problem machine.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Thank you very much. Am gathering requested information and will post it here as soon as I have completed all of the tasks.

Regards,
Looking4trh
Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
Registered Member

Router: Wireless N Broadband Router
Make: Linksys by Cisco
Model: WRT160N V3
Connects wired and wireless

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	79249
Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Microsoft MVP

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4trth View Post
It's hard to believe that you would post a response that is so useless to me. I live in an extremely rural area and we always have "ISSUES" with connections; even the OLD hosts.

Regards,
Looking4trth
The HOSTS file is a configuration file in Windows, it has nothing to do with your network infrastructure.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
Microsoft MVP

My System

Well, you see the router, have you tried a wired connection? I asked before, but I didn't get a response.

I might change the channel on the router to see if you have some other wireless device interfering with the signal.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Registered Member

Red Faced

Quote:
The HOSTS file is a configuration file in Windows, it has nothing to do with your network infrastructure.
I apologize for my rudeness, my response to you was in error.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
Registered Member

Let me start over: I sincerely apologize for my inexcusable rudeness..I replied in error.
This is my first wireless device and I don't know how to read the info on the screen shot or change anything on the router. It's frustrating because I don't usually use this forum unless it is really over my head (I don't like to pester those with the knowledge with small issues). Sorry, I misunderstood the question about wired and wireless connection. I was able to establish a wired connection.

Most humbly and thoroughly embarrassed,
Looking4trh
Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
Microsoft MVP

My System

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again. Here's How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7

If that doesn't help, try removing all encryption from the router as a test and see if you can connect that way from this machine.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
Registered Member

I am so confused and frustrated I don't know what to do I put it away for awhile, hoping if I came back to it later I could get it to work, no such luck. I wasn't ignoring your reply, just trying to figure out a way not to look so damn stupid!

This is what I have on my "Network connections" :
On my desktop it shows Local Area Connection (2) icon, but no wireless connection icon is shown.

On my netbook it shows Wireless connection and Local area Connection (on this one it says that the LAN is unplugged but the wireless is connected and going great guns.) Still won't connect to the internet.

I went to the links you provided and my netbook is the only system that shows the "wireless connection" to use. When I clicked on "properties," looking for the profile to remove, it showed a list with 4 choices. I got too apprehensive about removing something I knew nothing about and turned it off.

Should my desktop also show a "wireless Connection" icon? I called tech support for my ISP and they were useless, think it was time for his shift to be over because all he said was, "Yeah, hook up your wireless router and it should work."

Should my desktop also have a "Wireless connection" icon in the Network Connections? When I go to my wireless setup icon it gives me a choice to either set it up with a USB flash drive or manually.

Humbly,
Looking4trth