Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

connection problem / acquiring network address

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  johnwill 
#1 ·
hi there everyone, not sure if this is the right spot in the forum to post this but...
im on Plusnet for my broadband and connect my pc to the net via a Belkin wireless adapter and via a Thomson speedtouch 576 router

but 6 times out of 10, when i connect it will keep messing about and saying "acquiring network address"... ive tried using the microsoft thingy to "repair the connection" (sorry Im not very technical w broadband ) but it still does it

sometimes when i re boot it clears it, as it just did, but not always

Any ideas anyone?

#2 ·
Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.

1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
  2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
  5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.