Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

Cisco Linksys Wireless router loses connection

This is a discussion on Cisco Linksys Wireless router loses connection within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When ever my roommates and I turn on or turn off a computer or device to log onto our wireless

Old 08-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

When ever my roommates and I turn on or turn off a computer or device to log onto our wireless network that computer or device and all other computers or devices that are on the network lose internet connection for about 3 minutes. After that period then all devices gain access back. We have a Cisco Linksys router, Model number WRT110, it is the Range Plus version. I got it 6 months ago from a friend that had never pulled it out of the box or used it. I used it before moving and it did not have this problem. We are using cable for our internet and have a Motorola Surfboard model number SB5101U for our Modem. We have 2 Dell computers, both about a year old, and a LG blue ray device that connects wirelessly to stream movies.

Thank you for any help

Old 08-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

Quote:
When ever my roommates and I turn on or turn off a computer or device to log onto our wireless network that computer or device and all other computers or devices that are on the network lose internet connection for about 3 minutes.
so this only applies to the three devices (and includes any of the three devices) and they are all connected to the wireless - you have nothing connected tothe LAN (cable) side of the router - correct
Quote:
We have 2 Dell computers, both about a year old, and a LG blue ray device that connects wirelessly to stream movies.
if you connect one PC to the router by cable - what happens then

etaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Registered Member

We have three computers, two phones, and a lg blue ray player connected. We have the blue ray plugged in to the router. When we plug in a device it doesn't bother the wireless connected devices. I got the latest firmware last night and it doesn't seem to have made a difference, only possibly made it take longer to get the internet back. When plugged in with the cable that device isn't knocked offline when a new device connects to the wireless.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Moderator - Networking

so all wirless devices knock off all other wireless devices

lets see an xirrus screen shot

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

Wi-Fi Inspector | Xirrus
Direct link to the program is here Wi-Fi Inspector Confirmation

{If the above link does not work heres another link Thank you for downloading Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector | PCWorld}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus...-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
OR
2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use iStumbler 99 or
if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
AP Grapher - Mac OS X AirPort Stumbler and Wireless Graphing Software which has a graph function to monitor signal
------------------------------------------------------------------------

etaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

Ok. I am out of town until Sunday, I will do this then and post it here. Thank you for the help