Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

Cisco EPC3925 stops working when a wired PC is starting

This is a discussion on Cisco EPC3925 stops working when a wired PC is starting within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Please update us.

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #21
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Please update us.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #22
Registered Member

I'm really sorry that I didn't have enough time to write back here, but I monitored my internet closely. During the last few days it stopped working only two times, one time when my dad closed his PC, and another time today when my modem just restarted (it happens sometimes). I want to mention that I didn't change any settings or stopped using my everyday applications.

I will continue to see if the problem still occurs and if it does, I will post again here. Unfortunately for other people that may have the same problem like me, I can't help them because it just works normally for me now without me doing anything.

Sorry again that I didn't post for quite a long time. Thank you again for all your help and kindness!

Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Did UPC not contact you?

Your modem should not be restarting on it's own randomly possibly faulty.

I would contact UPC ask them to do line quality tests to test the line for faults and request a replacement modem of a different brand.

Something not right with the modem.

Hey no problem we are glad to try and help you with your issue.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberMan View Post
I would contact UPC ask them to do line quality tests to test the line for faults and request a replacement modem of a different brand.
Well, since you're saying that you don't know how bad it is with all kind of providers in Romania. Since UPC is my internet provider me and my father told them that their line has problems but they always said that the equipment is the problem.

Well it all began in a nice day when they released the new EuroDOCSIS 3.0 technology with speeds up to 120 mbps download and 6 mbps upload (which I have). They had to change the modem to a new one to support the new technology and speeds. Before that I had 24 mbps down and 4 mbps up. I had a normal modem + a wireless router bought by me, a Belkin wireless N+ that was also gigabit. The technician changed the modem from EuroDOCSIS 2 to 3, again a normal wired modem, but the speeds were... 2, 4, 6 mbps. We were all shocked. The next day it worked with 10 mbps and very rarely for a few seconds the speeds were going up. It was like that months after months until we couldn't wait anymore. The modem was changed 2 times, they were saying that it must be from our router. Ok, we took a wireless modem from them, guess which? The Cisco EPC3925. Since then we have that crashing problem, but at least it solved the speed problem and now we have normal speed. Well since a few days it seems to work a lot better.

Anyway, during the months I waited for the speed problem to be solved I called UPC more times and the man from the support team said be right back, then told me that he talked with his bosses and they are personally interested about my problem and that they will check their network and call and tell us about their status. What did they tell me? NOTHING. I didn't know one thing about what happened.

Finally few days ago when I called the last time the man said that they could check the network on our apartment building but not without disturbing us, they could just check it outside our apartment and come to us to ask if the problem was solved. Oh well, I have no idea (again) what happened but it works a lot better, not perfect but better. I have so many thoughts in my mind and I don't know if I wrote half of what happened. Oh well, you got the idea. :P

About the modem, I don't know what to say, this is the second EPC3925 so I don't think it's damaged. On the other hand I don't think that UPC has any other kind of modem that has EuroDOCSIS 3.0 and wireless, at least that's what it seems on their website with user manuals: Manuale de utilizare | Relatii Clienti | UPC

You can see there an EuroDOCSIS 2 wireless modem also from Cisco, two EuroDOCSIS 3 wired modems and my EPC3925. Also, I want to mention that the modem I got first when I switched to EuroDOCSIS 3 was this: SBV6120.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
Moderator - Networking

My System

I would still contact them it is not normal operation for a modem to keep restarting even if just to see if they can provide you a firmware update for the modem which may help cure the restarting but it could be hardware related and firmware will not repair any hardware failures.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
Registered Member

Since there isn't any firmware update button in the menu, I called them the last time specially for that, and asked if me or they need to do something to update the firmware or if it's automatic. The man answered that it's fully automatic and I should always have the latest versions.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #27
Moderator - Networking

My System

Have you tried any of the steps in post 20 but i think the problem lies with UPC it won't harm to try them it is either going to turn something up or not.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
Registered Member

I didn't mention it but believe me, I'm trying to fix either very slow speed problems either crashing problems since exactly one year and I had enough of it. At least now crashing one time for a few seconds at a few days is not that bad, and my speed is good. I would still try to fix it but in the end I'm at least happy like this than how it was before. Tens of calls to UPC, tens of tehnicians coming, I had enough of it and I don't want to experience that again. Not to mention that with all of this I was disturbing my family as well.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #29
Moderator - Networking

My System

The chances are it is with UPC that the problem lies i have given advice on that.

Understand it is frustrating you have to identify or eliminate things in your network.

I'll post for assistance to see if anyone has any other ideas that i may have missed.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #30
Moderator - Networking

You have been given some very good and sound advise here. Posts 12 and 20 are good things to try. I only have two things to add:

First: Do you still have your original modem and router that you had prior to upgrading the service? If so, have you tried using those to see how everything works? I understand that you will not get the same speeds, but, it will allow you to test the stability.

Second: I don't recall reading in any of the posts about completely disabling the wifi. Again, I know this is also a pain, however you can at least check for stability. If, you still have disconnection issues, then chances are that thr router or modem is defective.

On a side note I have seen defective firmware come with an entire line of units (Telus modems here had a very bad rash of that at one point), the only option was to use a different model of modem...

Computers help us fix problems that we would not have without them...

Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #31
Registered Member

I'm sorry that I don't have more time to write now but I can tell you that when they are changing the modem they are always taking back the old one. So no, I don't have the old one anymore but only the Cisco EPC3925 and the wireless router I bought myself but I'm not using it at the moment of course.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #32
Moderator - Networking

My System

Hi doom laur at this point you have been given good advice in this thread you have to eliminate your devices on the network as the problem by following advice given.

Also UPC not giving good service with poor modem and network performance and bad security advice.

If you have disabled security like firewalls or hardware security features then they need to be re-enabled immediately.

My personal opinion is look for another isp as difficult as it may be.

Please re-read the thread and follow the advice given we can offer no further advice at this point.

Best of luck and please let us know if the advice once implemented has worked or not and with UPC.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #33
Registered Member

I thank everyone for everything. All of you helped me a lot and were so kind

If I will still have problems I will try the above advices. However, due to the less number of crashes lately it's harder to guess if the problem still appears or not.

About the security features yes, I disabled as much as possible. The only security that I always keep at maximum is the wireless security where I have a pretty complicated password and always WPA-PSK2 Personal (with AES) activated, plus an additional password for the administration page.

I guess you guys aren't gamers but I can tell you, being a gamer behind a hardware firewall is the worst nightmare. I can remember my first cheap wired router - I had only few places to allow ports and at some games I couldn't even allow all the ports because I didn't have enough "space" to write all of them. Since then I always disable the firewall, activate UPnP and add my desktop to the DMZ. Since then I didn't have ANY problems with any hackers or spies and also the ports were working perfectly. Not only that, but I'm playing 5+ games and using many kind of programs where I need opened ports in order to work properly and I don't have enough space to write all the ports in the list of port forwarding. Maybe if you would be gamers you would see the situation different, like me. It's the same thing with Windows Firewall and UAC, two of the first things I'm disabling in the first 5 minutes after I installed Windows.

P.S.: Sorry if I'm maybe too stubborn sometimes
Old 03-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #34
Moderator - Networking

My System

You are right i am not a gamer but using a DMZ is risky all your ports are open even the non game ports there is no protection from the router.

You could always upgrade your router and that will have more available space for portforwarding rules.

Below is a excellent article on the basics of internet and network security please have a look:
The Do’s and Don’ts of Basic Internet and Network Security | 2xg's Blogs

Disabling UAC is madness IMO and the windows firewall if you don't have a third party firewall in place as well as anti-virus.

There are numerous articles on the net on security please do some research and understand why you need security and then you may understand what has been said in this thread.

Convenience over security is fine as long as you are not compremised but you may never know as so many security features have been disabled.

Your unwillingness may be your downfall.

Please let us know how it goes when the issues return and you have implemented the advice.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #35
Registered Member

Don't worry, since a few years I'm buying BitDefender Total Security which is one of the best security suites, and I have maximum antivirus protection plus a very good firewall and many other security modules. All the PCs at my home have it so we're very well protected. That's why I'm saying, I don't need a firewall that blocks everything like the one from the modem but an intelligent one like the one from BitDefender that always blocks only suspect things and not my games.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #36
Moderator - Networking

My System

At least that is a start...

Still some way to go tho.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #37
Registered Member

Hi,

I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one freak with this problem, but in the same time so furious on the services provided by UPC Romania.

First, I have a laptop with win7 sp1... it's a company laptop, registered in a domain, etc. When I received the laptop, I thought that the internet/wireless is not working due to a bad coincidence of hardware (toshiba portege + Cisco EPC3925). I didn't spent to much time on it... but having X disconnection/session each time.

Now, after one year... same problem with the desktop PC. Until now I had windows 7 ultimate N. No single problem in one year.
Yesterday I've change the os to win7 prof sp1 and the problems started. The same description like doom_laur explained.

My solution will be to cancel the contract with UPC Romania. I don't want to loose my life to spent it with their sheet.