Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

Century link modem

This is a discussion on Century link modem within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a 8 year old modem hooked up to a 3 month old router to get wifi via my

Old 05-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a 8 year old modem hooked up to a 3 month old router to get wifi via my macbook pro. The macbook is less than a year old as well and has lion. For the last couple months my modem will randomly stop working about once a day causing me to reset it in order for it to work again. Recently it will shut up and it will not work for several hours at a time if at all until the next day. I believe it has something to do with the old 8 year old modem not connecting correctly with the router considering wifi was rare 8 years ago. I would like to know what kind of modem i need to connect with my linksys E1200 router. I called century link and it was some foreigner that had no idea what she was talking about. She kept insisting i get a 2 in 1 router modem but considering my router is only 3 months old i would rather go the cheaper route and get just a new modem. Any suggestions?

Old 05-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Hi and welcome to TSF,

First hook up the macbook directly to the modem using an ethernet cable and see if you have connectivity problems.

Please let us know what the outcome is.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding a second modem to increase the signal in a part of my house
Background for past two years: I initially had a laptop and a desktop with one Telkom router, running both wireless and wired (Ethernet cable) http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii62/avz10/IMG_2666.jpg pics removed for security purpose My daughters got laptops,...
avz10 Networking Support 1 02-06-2012 01:52 AM
Wireless modem not connecting to PC
Hi All, I am having this problem. I have a wireless modem. Its main connections are power, and phone line. Since its a wireless modem it is not connected to my PC through wire. i have a Datacard USB which is plugged in my PC. The wireless modem senses this Datacard and my internet was working...
deepak1134 Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 3 07-22-2011 12:03 AM
using DSL modem as ap
Hey guys, sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. I just replaced my dls modem with a newer one...i decided i wanted to use the older 2wire 2700 as an AP...looked around found a few directions. Basically its working...kinda. ha On the old modem i changed the router lan ip to...
snapetwo Networking Support 1 01-14-2011 04:07 PM
[SOLVED] Zoom DSL modem resets/drops out with a unique effect
I will explain as much as I can. I looked at a previous thread on modem resets and replugging all the wiring including a different phone jack in another room. I did that but the problem persists and I have contacted the ISP for replacement of the Zoom modem and line filter. The problem...
loninappleton Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 6 01-13-2011 01:12 PM