Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

Can connect wireless but NOT ethernet

This is a discussion on Can connect wireless but NOT ethernet within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a Dell Lattitude 610 on XP. Verizon DSL. Using their provided Westell 2110 modem and my SMC

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I have a Dell Lattitude 610 on XP. Verizon DSL. Using their provided Westell 2110 modem and my SMC router.

I have no issues with connecting wireless or ethernet to my router. However, when I connect my computer directly to the Westell modem, it can't find the DHCP server and assign the IP. I get the 169.254* IP

I've tried many times all sorts of combinations at power cycling the model and IPCONFIG release/renew. Disabling/Enabling the Network Adapter (Broadcomm). Nothing seems to work. Any help gladly appreciated.

Thanks, Vlad

Old 10-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Can you connect any other computer directly to the modem? When you configured the router, are you using PPPoE for the WAN connection configuration?

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 10-24-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'll try connecting my other laptop when I get home.

I am using PPPoE and I am suspecting that's the problem. The PPPoE is configured on my router, but not on my laptop? When I get home, I will pursue this using Windows XP PPPoE.

Incidentally, the reason why I am doing all this is because I can't do Cisco VPN, wirelessly or ethernet, from home. But I was able to do the VPN wirelessly from elsewhere. I am hoping that solving the modem/ethernet connectivity problem will magically solve my VPN problem. (I don't know enough about networking and VPN to truly diagnose the issue).

Vlad
Old 10-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP

My System

Most routers can be configured to pass VPN traffic. I suspect that a proper configuration of the SMC (model unknown) will probably solve the VPN issue.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
Registered Member

John,
So I managed to finally connect my laptop directly to my Westell 2110 DSL modem. I guess I was missing a fundamental thing all along...I had to set up the PPPoE connection so now I'm connected through my WAN Miniport.

This leads to a couple questions. One, would you know if the Westell modem already has built in support for PPPoE? Second, is there some modem configuration page similar to what I would access for my router?

When I do IPCONFIG, a few items to note:
DHCP is disabled; so is Netbios over TCPIP
the IP is 70.19.130.59

(I tried typing in that IP address in IE, but it didn't take me to a config page the same way it would for my router)

Lastly, what do I need to do to enable VPN? I'm thinking it has something to do with manually opening up a port on the modem?

I'd rather diagnose the VPN problem on the ethernet connection straight to the modem before introducing the wireless/router into the mix.

Thanks! Vlad
Old 10-25-2007, 06:55 AM   #6
Microsoft MVP

My System

If you're asking if the modem has internal login capability, I really have no idea, the data sheet isn't all that illuminating. There may not be any PPPoE connections don't have DHCP, so that's normal. Here's a link to the manual for the modem (http://www.fltg.net/Software/UserGuide.pdf), I don't see any mention of a configuration capability.

There are no ports to "open" on that modem, if the VPN still doesn't work with a direct connection, it's something else. Firewall?

Closed Thread