Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

What opperating system does the best other than Microsoft and Mac

This is a discussion on What opperating system does the best other than Microsoft and Mac within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey i am wondering what opperating system i should get insted of Windows an mac. And are the othe opperating

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Games Team | Tech

My System

Hey i am wondering what opperating system i should get insted of Windows an mac. And are the othe opperating systems free. SOme one please answer me

Old 12-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Linux is free. What kind of programs will you be running on the OS, and what are your system specs?

Old 12-14-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Games Team | Tech

My System

Well right now i am using windows. I have had to reinstall windows 8 times because of a virus or a running file dies. I want it to work on my laptop I have the Acer Aspire 5000. I won't be using any games and stuff. I just want to stop installing my opperating system so often. I have like no money so i can't afford virus protectio.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

You don't need to pay any money at all to protect your Windows computer. I use Avira (free antivirus). See here for more antivirus, antispyware and firewall suggestions.

If you've had to reinstall Windows because of 8 separate infections, are you visiting dangerous websites, or file-sharing, or installing software from unknown sources?

If you install one of the free Linux operating systems, you won't be able to use any of your existing Windows software as the two operating systems are not compatible, although there are Linux versions of most Windows programs available.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to eveningsky339

There are several high-quality, free Linux-based operating systems available. I was "rescued" from Vista by Linux and haven't looked back; I recommend you do the same.

If you are a hard-core gamer, you may want to hold on to your Windows, considering most games are developed for use in Windows. There is nothing stopping you from dual booting a Linux and a Windows installation, though; you can find more information on that on the various Linux websites.

I recommend the Ubuntu Linux, which can be found here.

You can also try openSUSE, found here.

Fedora is also a very well-respected distribution. The author of the Linux kernel, Linus Torvalds, uses it. Check it out here.

Or, if you want to see another free OS infinitely better than Windows, take a look at Linux Mint, found here.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

I suggest your restore it then go online install AVG And Adaware from Download.com One isnt free but it only cost for a better version i personaly use this avg runs in backround so does adaware if you install a good version. If you use a older version run avg after every internet use or every week or 2.