Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Other Operating systems

Looking for a solution to 500 problems (Norton GHOST+Ubuntu and a very hard task)

This is a discussion on Looking for a solution to 500 problems (Norton GHOST+Ubuntu and a very hard task) within the Other Operating systems forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I want to expose you a problem which is driving us crazies at my work, I didnt know where to post this due this problem is linked both with Linux and Windows. Im member of a tech support apartament in a company which provides support and our boss wants us to improve the way to update the software installed in Ubuntun contained in GHO/GHS (Norton GHOST) images.
We have around 500 computers with different hardware therefore 500 different images personalizated for each one according their hardware. Actually to updadate the software we do it one by one remotely, setting each image, updating for example it´s Firefox 3 to 4 and soft in general and copying the back up from the old image to the new which contains updated software and which shall remain instlled till new versions are published when we´ll repeat this manual process.
We are asked to develop or to find a new way in order to update the soft inside the 500 images, for example, if the 500 images have Firefox 3 we need to get them updated to 4 automatically in all saved images without setting/installin/opening them, copying back ups (or even with this possibility),etc. We need a generic solution (update method) to 500 personalized problems with different hardware, so keeping an only updated images is discarded, also a Linux script which from Ubuntu updates all the software, the possibility to update automatically the soft from the running OS to its saved image won´t work because it may update problems caused by the sistem´s usage.
Do you have any idea?, thank you, regards.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Ubuntu 11.10 Insufficient Permission
I'm an admin on my pc, and I have never had any issues installing programs on my laptop. At the very end of a 45-min installation process of Ubuntu 11.10 (i'm interested in seeing what the hypes about), I get an error message stating, "...I have insufficient Permissions..." and closes out of the...
scalh001 Linux Support 14 12-26-2011 08:58 AM
Hardware/software issues w/ hard drive test/wipe system setup + REWARD!
Please note: NOT spam or an ad...just a really really long, detailed, and desperate post... Hello all competent techs! Let me preface this problem with my willingness to pay a reasonable fee for a solution, or for consultation resulting in a successful solution. If someone solves my problem...
axio Hard Drive Support 2 10-24-2011 03:58 PM
BSOD Problems, IQRL_Not_Less_Or_Equal; PFN_List_Corrupt; Ntfs.sys etc.
Over the past 2 months I've been having problems with BSOD's. First I tought it was just a one time thing but after five times I started to think different. I used Ccleaner and Comodo cleaner to clean up the registry but nothing helped. The one thing I did noticed was that the BSOD's were different...
Pytrik BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 9 02-28-2011 04:41 AM
Windows 7 BSOD - Memory management
Been getting BSOD. Sometimes twice a night, sometimes none. This hass been for weeks. Sometimes I get stuck in a reboot loop, sometimes it wants to run Repair, sometimes it wants me to choose safe mode/no safe mode. Pulled out two 1GB sticks of old dell memory yesterday when it was stuck in a...
dj-anakin BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 7 02-21-2011 03:27 PM
BSOD problems , help would be appreciated [moved from Vista/7]
Hey everyone , i'm pretty new here , so i'm hoping someone could analyze my minidump file for me. Anyway , for a few days now , i keep getting random BSODs for apparently no reason. This started happening ( and this may sound funny ) after i tried installing a patch for a game , which...
lurker1 BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 4 02-06-2011 07:14 AM