Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

Why Can't Access Google or YouTube?

This is a discussion on Why Can't Access Google or YouTube? within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Everytime I try in Firefox it says 'Unable to establish a connection.' I tried in IE and it said 'Cannot

Old 06-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Everytime I try in Firefox it says 'Unable to establish a connection.' I tried in IE and it said 'Cannot find server.' It's reserved only to Google sites, like Picasa, Docs, YouTube, Gmail, etc. Yesterday afternoon I could go to them, but after someone finished faxing on the line I couldn't. Bing, Facebook, this site, and other sites are slow, but will open eventually. The internet service is otherwise fine; Yahoo loads perfectly.

I tried to ping Youtube and Google but it said 'Destination host unreachable.' Any suggestions from anyone?

Thanks

Old 06-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Since this is happening in both browsers, it's not a Firefox specific problem.

How are you connecting to the Internet? Cable? DSL? Dial-up?

Are you using a router?

Old 06-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Interesting I just finished answering someone Else's thread on the very same issue. Its an EPIDEMIC!! J/K.

Is this limited to just the one computer, or do you have another one that can reach those sites?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Registered Member

I don't know if it's gonna be helpful, but a friend of mine had this very same issue and she could solve it by disabling the proxy on her system.

To do so (Internet Explorer): Tools > Internet Option > Connection [TAB] > Lan Setting: uncheck "Use a proxy server for your lan."

If this solved it, disabling the proxy in Firefox would solve your issue there as well.

If not, answer the following questions so that I'll be help you further:

1- Do you use Dail-Up, or DSL?

2- When did you start facing this problem?

3- Had this happened before?

4- In which country do you live?
Old 06-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

I can't answer some of those questions, but I can say that the internet is ran through a cable that goes into an Ethernet port. We just plug in a cord and immediately can go online. I think it's ran through a phone connection, because when anyone's faxing or using the phone, the internet is down.
I'm fairly certain we don't use a router.
Mine is the only computer using this internet connection.
Disabling proxy didn't help.
This problem began yesterday afternoon, and this hasn't happened before, although I've never been able to go to microsoft.com from this computer.
I live in the U.S.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Registered Member

If the internet goes down when somebody picks up the phone, you are using a Dail-Up connection.

Since the probelm hadn't happened before, and you ran into this yesterday, most likely, your problem will be automatically solved. Apparently, this issue has nothing to do with you and the things you might have done.

My suggestion is to wait for a day; if you still have this problem, the best thing is to contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and tell 'em what's going on. They'll be able to help you out.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yeah, now it's working, so I guess it wasn't me. Thank you all for your answers!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

I'll give you some advice.....DUMP DIAL UP!!! Its an evil technology....no one should have it anymore. LOL
Old 06-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hmm... It sounds to me like DSL... Does the cable go straight to the wall or into a modem first???

If it is DSL and you are dropping internet when the phone is in use, there may be an issue with the way your DSL filters are set up.

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
GZ is offline   Reply With Quote