Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Web Pages Slow to Load

3K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 ·
I'm posting this here because I'm not sure where to go. Please move me to the appropriate place if somewhere else would be better.

I use Firefox but tried IE and have the same problem.

Last week internet pages started loading slowly and rarely fully load. It will take a minute or more for a simple page like Google to open. Fuller pages like a news site will take upwards of 5 minutes and still not fully load. They continually say waiting, transferring, or looking up in the bottom left corner. The refresh arrow on the URL bar remains an X.

I have run virus scan, McAfee Virus Scan Plus. I have also run Spybot and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as well. None of them have found anything.

Thinking maybe I have a router/Wi-fi issue I have disconnected Wi-fi and wired into the modem. No better. Have a desktop pc (wired), Android tablet and Nintendo Wii (both Wi-fi) and nothing else is having problems.

There do not seem to be any other signs of problem on laptop. I can run other things - games, office programs and such and everything opens and operates fine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dawn

See less See more
#5 ·
I had previously disabled McAfee and no different. I did again after your suggestion to do so and no better. I'm not sure if there is another way to disable McAfee so I turn the realtime scanner off as well as the firewall. If there is another way I should be disabling it please let me know.

#6 ·
Hi! Don't want to butt in, but I just helped a senior with similar problem. It turned out to be his modem. Maybe your ISP could check that out for you!! If you're only having trouble on the net, it sounds like the modem could be your issue!!

#10 ·
Thanks joeten. I did have a McAfee update last week that required rebooting, most don't. This issue didn't start until after that. I read the McAfee info and will follow that and see how goes. The laptop, which I got last July, came with a year McAfee subscription, the desktop PC which isn't having problems has a different virus protection.

Hi donetao, thank you for the modem suggestion. I will also check with my ISP to make sure everything is good. Thinking the modem is close to 10 years old. Might be time to just take it in and get a new one anyway.

#12 ·
Problem solved!!!
After uninstalling McAfee all is working perfectly again. Have Windows firewall turned on right now. Am going to reinstall McAfee and if there are problems again find a new virus protection otherwise I'll use McAfee until this subscription runs out in July. Any suggestions for a McAfee replacement?

#13 ·
Hi I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions about a Anti-Virus software.
I have been running MSE and MBAM Premium for years. I have no complaints and I have never had more that a PUP, and that was my fault!!
I glad you got your issue solved. Never been a fan of McAfee. I see a lot of problems with it here in my retirement village!! There isn't a perfect one. I hear the paid ESET is very popular!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.