Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

[SOLVED] Making Hotmail the default mailto in Firefox 3

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Making Hotmail the default mailto in Firefox 3 within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey everyone, I have been trying to make Hotmail the default mailto in Firefox 3 with no chance. I tried

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey everyone,

I have been trying to make Hotmail the default mailto in Firefox 3 with no chance. I tried some strings and values in about:config with no chance too. By default, and under Tools -> Options -> Applications, mailto has Gmail and Yahoo Mail. I want to add Hotmail to that list.

Can anyone help with this please?

Thanks,

Old 12-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to quizme1220 Send a message via Yahoo to quizme1220

Hello xsever and Welcome to TSF.

Have you seen this article? http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...sed+by+Firefox.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hello quizme1220 and thanks for the welcome.

Unfortunately, the link you provided had nothing helpful concerning Hotmail in particular.

Either hotmail does not support mailto yet or there is a workaround that we are being able to find.

What do you think?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Registered Member

To make Firefox use Hotmail for mailto links, do the following.

1. Type about:config into your location bar and hit enter. If you've never edited used about:config before, you'll see a warning.
2. Click "I'll be careful, I promise!" This will bring you to the about:config window.
3. In the filter field type "gecko". Double click the first entry gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHost to change the value to true.
4. Copy and paste the text between the following text into the location bar and hit enter: javascript:navigator.registerProtocolHandler('mailto','http://hotmail.msn.com/secure/start?action=compose&to=%s','Hotmail');
5. You will see an information bar drop down at the top of the window. Click "Add Application." You've finished installing the Hotmail protocol now you just need to select it.
6. Go to Firefox>Preferences>Applications, if you are using a Mac, or Tools>Options>Applications, if you are using Windows. Now scroll down the list by content type and find mailto. In the drop-down menu to the right select "Use Hotmail".
7. Next, return to about:config.
8. If the warning comes up again, click "I'll be careful, I promise!"
9. In the filter field type "gecko", and double click the first entry gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHost to change the value back to false.

Now you're done. You can check to make sure it works, by using the first two tests on this page: http://people.mozilla.org/~ctalbert/...col-links.html

Hope this helps,
Old 02-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks a lot jodihamann for the guide. I am expert in about:config and have tried many things for the gecko handler, but never knew the javascript:navigator protocol for hotmail exists. Where did you get it from?

Thanks again,
Old 02-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
Registered Member

Great tip!
I just changed it to Live Mail, and it all works:

javascript:navigator.registerProtocolHandler('mailto','http://mail.live.com/secure/start?action=compose&to=%s','Live Mail');
Old 02-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

I also found a similar tool that is universal.

Check it out here.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Registered Member

xsever,

I personally have very little experience or expertise with either javascript or about:config, so I put this together by exploration and trial and error. I compared some of the specs for other mailto protocol registrations, tracked down the Mozilla Development Center article on registerProtocolHandler, and pieced together a version of my own.

Given my lack of expertise, it took a bit of tinkering to get it down, but I'd been looking for ages for a solution so it was nice to finally have one.

Just glad my work could be of help to others.

jodihamann
Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Registered Member

I have a problem. I get to step 4 on this fix and nothing happens. It opens a blank tab and that's it.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hey Hoagie,

First make sure that you done step 3 right and that ¨gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHost¨ value indeed is set to true, otherwise it wont work

after that, make sure when you open the new window at step 4 that you copy the full text:

javascript:navigator.registerProtocolHandler('mailto','http://hotmail.msn.com/secure/start?action=compose&to=%s','Hotmail');

....In the adressbar. This should give you the option to add it.

And jodihamann, Big thx for this solution mate, been looking for something like this for a while now.

Tijn
Old 01-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodihamann View Post
To make Firefox use Hotmail for mailto links, do the following.

1. Type about:config into your location bar and hit enter. If you've never edited used about:config before, you'll see a warning.
2. Click "I'll be careful, I promise!" This will bring you to the about:config window.
3. In the filter field type "gecko". Double click the first entry gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHost to change the value to true.
4. Copy and paste the text between the following text into the location bar and hit enter: javascript:navigator.registerProtocolHandler('mailto','http://hotmail.msn.com/secure/start?action=compose&to=%s','Hotmail');
5. You will see an information bar drop down at the top of the window. Click "Add Application." You've finished installing the Hotmail protocol now you just need to select it.
6. Go to Firefox>Preferences>Applications, if you are using a Mac, or Tools>Options>Applications, if you are using Windows. Now scroll down the list by content type and find mailto. In the drop-down menu to the right select "Use Hotmail".
7. Next, return to about:config.
8. If the warning comes up again, click "I'll be careful, I promise!"
9. In the filter field type "gecko", and double click the first entry gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHost to change the value back to false.

Now you're done. You can check to make sure it works, by using the first two tests on this page: http://people.mozilla.org/~ctalbert/...col-links.html

Hope this helps,
Thank-you very much - I too had the same problem and this advice from you that I found on Google has sorted it.