Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

[SOLVED] live streaming on firefox lags or freezes

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] live streaming on firefox lags or freezes within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi. my live streaming on firefox was working like a charm until recently it started to lag. now its to

Old 06-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

hi. my live streaming on firefox was working like a charm until recently it started to lag. now its to the point where it will lag then just freeze. i've scanned my computer using malwarebytes and super antispyware but both are saying nothing is corrupted.

i'm currently using firefox 4 but i tried using 5 to see if it would make a difference and it doesn't. please help

Old 06-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Run the test at speedtest.com to check your Internet speeds. If they are not what you expect them to be (near what you are paying for), then you need to talk to your Internet service provider.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Might just be the case since they are streams, I find most of them lag and freeze quite often. If you can use the same stream on another computer and it is fine, then it might be something on your computer causing the issue.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

And on the same network... Another machine on a different network does not rule out and ISP issue.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Registered Member

my internet speed isn't an issue and i frequently ask other members thru the chat on the live stream if they are experiencing the same issue and they say no
Old 06-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Did you run the speed test?

Depending on the type of connection you have, things can happen to slow it down. For example, I live very near a university. Every Sept., when the students come back and get hooked up, my speeds drop to near dialup. I pay for the fastest service currently available through cable. I have to call them up every year to split their node since they have, yet again, overloaded it.

Time of day can make a difference on cable as well and flaky phone lines can mess up DSL. You really should run the test, and run it a few times at various times of day.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Registered Member

I've tested the speed at different times of the day and it's pretty consistent each time. I also run a registry cleaner and there's little difference
Old 06-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Do not use registry cleaners. They cause much more harm than good. Remove the on you have installed.

What was your speed? Download speed is the most important here.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

download speed: 1121 kbps
upload speed : 269 kbps

i removed the registry cleaner. i also noticed on my task manager that my cpu usage is 100%. what can i do to fix that as well?
Old 06-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

That's about 1Mbps. Very extremely speed for live streaming. What speed are you paying for?

What in your task manager is using the highest amount and how much is it using?
Old 06-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
Registered Member

the highest amount is firefox. after that it's a toss up between avast and plugin-container
As for internet service, we have broadband
Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Great, you have broadband, but what speed broadband are you paying for? For example, I have Roadrunner. They offer 4-5 different packages with speeds varying from up to 3 Mbps to 50 Mbps. I have a package that is for up to 15 Mbps but am getting between 20-30 Mbps. I need to know what speed you are supposed to be getting to determine if you need to contact your ISP or if you just don't have a good enough package for streaming live video. This really is not a Firefox issue.

The main reasons for Firefox using that much of your resources is from your extensions and/or plugins. Flash is notorious for causing high CPU and memory usage. A lot of this also depends on your system configuration. If you have an older machine, you will see higher CPU usage with today's demands.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Same speed that I get, it gets me where I want to go.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
Registered Member

i'm paying for 768 kbps download. i'm starting to think it has to do with cpu usage rather than my internet. when i'm in firefox the task manager is saying firefox is 90% of 100 usage but when i close firefox it's still on 100% usage but the main percentage varies every second or 2
Old 06-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #15
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

What is your system configuration?

But I doubt that's the issue. What sites are you streaming the video from?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
Registered Member

i'm streaming the video from firstrowsports.eu then i tried ustream.tv

windows xp professional version 5.1.2600
Service Pack: 3.0 Location: C:\WINDOWS
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz Version: x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 Speed: 800 MHz
Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #17
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Sorry, I will not register to that betting site to test the video. Are you seeing this problem on any other site where you don't have to register for something?

This is a laptop, right? A pretty old one too, right? How much RAM?

What brand and model laptop is this?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
Registered Member

you can try justin.tv. you don't need to register to see one of their streams

2004 dell latitude d610 laptop
1gb RAM
Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #19
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Are you running the stream at the lowest setting? With your system and your Internet speed, I wouldn't set it any higher.

Yup, old machine, but you do have a decent amount of RAM for XP. The CPU is very old though.

I would still like to know what speed you are paying for with your ISP. You may be having connection problems if you are paying for a higher speed than 1Mbps. I'm assuming that you are in the UK or Europe somewhere. From what I understand, you folks get much better speeds than we do here, usually. You have a better infrastructure and your ISP's seem to be a tad more reasonable. I could be wrong though. ;-)
Old 06-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #20
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Is anyone else on your network connected to the internet when you're trying to watch a stream?

Are you using a proxy?

If your network is not properly secured, one of your neighbors could be using your bandwidth. Are you using WPA, WEP or no encryption in your router config?

Have you scanned for viruses and spyware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr9
when i'm in firefox the task manager is saying firefox is 90% of 100 usage but when i close firefox it's still on 100% usage
Post back with a Task Manager screenshot showing the high CPU usage after you've closed Firefox.