Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

[SOLVED] How to change mozilla's default search engine?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] How to change mozilla's default search engine? within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm using firefox 8.0. Before the default home page of mozilla was a google search engine (the red marked area).

Old 11-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Alternative Computing Team

My System

I'm using firefox 8.0. Before the default home page of mozilla was a google search engine (the red marked area). But now whenevr i type in that area, ask.com brings my results
The other search bar (green mark) is as it was always, but the main search engine changed. I have an idea , that it might came with km-player or real-player, when I downloaded them. But now how to change it to Google again? I can't find any way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	45
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	100529  

Old 11-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

In that search bar you should see a little triangle. Click it and choose "Manage Search Engines" and make "Google default and then remove or delete Ask...damn thing is both useless and insidious.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #3

My System

Nah, still getting results from ask.com when I search in the red bar.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

You may have to go into Programs and Features in Control Panel first and uninstall it befo0re doing what I suggested.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 Pro, ME, Vista. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000 & 98SE

Make sure your Start Page is: Mozilla Firefox Start Page

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdn8Melbourne View Post
Nah, still getting results from ask.com when I search in the red bar.
First uninstall it from Programs and Features in Control Panel, then do what I said.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:26 AM   #7

My System

It didn't sole in anyways :/ I uninstalled Mozilla twice and installed in its' default mode.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #8
Registered Member

Hi,
Whenever you install any version of internet browser there is an option asked "Do you want to set it as a starting page", if you choose 'no' on that stage you didn't get it as starting page.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #9

My System

Hmm mozilla doesn't give such option (i might be wrong) because it itself initially sets it's starting page as the page i posted above there. And the problem is in the search bar in that page, not the page actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1234 View Post
Hi,
Whenever you install any version of internet browser there is an option asked "Do you want to set it as a starting page", if you choose 'no' on that stage you didn't get it as starting page.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

It does ask you if you want the Firefox start page or to pull one from IE already in use.
I told you how to take it out of search function. On the left side of search box is a small triangle. Click it and choose "manage search engines". Make Google default and delete the other one.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 AM   #11

My System

No sir, it didn't work unfortunately. The method you told, has changed the search bar of the green area of the screenshot. but the red area is still the same - anything typed on the red area, brings result from ask.com
Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Just type in the address you want as your home page in the address bar and click "enter" on the keyboard. Then right click top bar (keep trying until you see "menu bar" and click it) then choose "tools", "options" and on the first tab where it says "Homepage" click "use current", Then close and reopen browser.