Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

[SOLVED] Firefox: The proxy server is refusing connections Options

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Firefox: The proxy server is refusing connections Options within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello im a newbie & was wandering if anybody can help, I have started to get this annoying message everytime

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello im a newbie & was wandering if anybody can help, I have started to get this annoying message everytime i try to use Firefox

Quote:
The proxy server is refusing connections

Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

* Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.

* Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is
working.
I know how to disable the proxy server but if i close firefox and reopen the old setting with proxy enabled returns back into effect and i get the error again. So i can get firefox to connect but i have to disable the proxy server each time (very annoying). i have done test with very reliable virus & spyware programs plus even used hijackthis and they have found nothing infected or a problem that may cause this, please help if you can this is totally doing my head in.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Design Team

Do you have a proxy managing add-on installed?
That could affect it...

I used to get the same problem when going between school and home (i'd have to disable and enable using a proxy)

Best thing i can advise is installing:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6709

then going into the options (tools/add-ons/proxyswitch/options) and then setting it to turn the proxy off when firefox is started... then you can just click the little switch icon to turn the proxy back on....

i don't know what the actual problem is though, have you got anything installed that would affect the proxy?

Old 04-25-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemac2005 View Post
Do you have a proxy managing add-on installed?
That could affect it...

I used to get the same problem when going between school and home (i'd have to disable and enable using a proxy)

Best thing i can advise is installing:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6709

then going into the options (tools/add-ons/proxyswitch/options) and then setting it to turn the proxy off when firefox is started... then you can just click the little switch icon to turn the proxy back on....

i don't know what the actual problem is though, have you got anything installed that would affect the proxy?
Cheers for that jamie seems to of sorted it out, sorry for the late reply mate, but all i can say is your time & effort are well appreciated, thanks & take care m8
Old 04-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Design Team

Thats good =], glad you got it sorted

Glad i could help,
Jamey
Old 08-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Or just do this : Step 1Click the "Tools" tab in Firefox which will display a drop-down menu. Click "Options" from the menu.

Step 2 An Option Dialogue Box will appear. Select the "Advanced" tab.

Step 3 On the "Advanced" screen, click the "Network" tab, and then the "Settings" tab.

Step 4Select the option that says "No Proxy."

Step 5Click "OK," then click "OK" again on the next screen. You have now disabled the proxy settings.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks Dennis,

Your instructions worked for me and I was also experiencing the 'proxy problem'.