Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

[SOLVED] Firefox startup slow

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Firefox startup slow within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Firefox has recently started taking 10-12 seconds to begin loading the home page upon start up. I will start Firefox

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
Biker/Geek

My System

Send a message via AIM to -=Rousseau=-

Firefox has recently started taking 10-12 seconds to begin loading the home page upon start up. I will start Firefox and it will come up to a white screen, pause for 10-12 seconds, then begin loading the webpage. What's up?

Old 11-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Have you installed any extensions or themes recently that the problem could be put down to?

Too many extensions can cause the problem, depending on what some of them are. Try starting the browser in Firefox Safe Mode (starts Firefox without loading any extensions or themes) to see if it starts more quickly. There should be a shortcut for Firefox Safe Mode in: 'Start Button > Programs'.

Are you using an old Profile? If so, perhaps try creating and using a new one.

I've noticed that my copy of Firefox can load slowly if I've been using any other heavy program for a while (PhotoPaint or Xara Xtreme for instance). Windows seems to take a while to release enough memory or resources for the browser to start. Is that when your own installation of Firefox starts slowly?

Old 11-29-2006, 09:28 PM   #3
Biker/Geek

My System

Not too many themes, but I have been using the same profile since I installed Firefox. I don't run any big programs that should be slowing it down.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:01 PM   #4
Registered Member

Did you try opening the browser using Firefox's Safe Mode (shortcut in the Start Menu). Is it still slow to start?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
Biker/Geek

My System

I created a new profile and it is fixed now, so I think that was it. I only kept the bookmarks, a theme, and one extension from the old profile so the too-many-plugins problem is also avoided.

Thnx for the help all.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

I always thought firefox's startup was sloooooow... not on the order you were talking about, but maybe a couple of seconds too slow, especially on the first launch. I changed my shortcut target to
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /prefetch:1
and that seems to help.... every second counts!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmcd View Post
I always thought firefox's startup was sloooooow... not on the order you were talking about, but maybe a couple of seconds too slow, especially on the first launch. I changed my shortcut target to
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /prefetch:1
and that seems to help.... every second counts!
Comment and discussion about adding '/prefetch: 1' to Firefox's shortcut can be found in this page. There's more here under the 'Misinformation and the The Prefetch Flag' heading (scroll down the page a bit). This is written by a developer on Microsoft’s Windows Client Performance Team (according to the first page I've linked to).
Old 12-02-2006, 11:51 PM   #8
Roaming To Help

Shouldn't do that. If your startup is lagging, then you have a problem that is not going to go away or its because you have too many chrome extensions/themes that will take a while to load up.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
Registered Member

Ha I know this is old, but thanks guys for the tips. I was having the same problem with my firefox but now its starting up and running nice and smoothly
Old 04-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obituary1992 View Post
Ha I know this is old, but thanks guys for the tips. I was having the same problem with my firefox but now its starting up and running nice and smoothly
My firefox takes over a minute to load first time around, it's quite pathetic compared to IE7. I think that part of the problem is that NoScript wanders around on the Internet before firefox is ready for m.

What did you do, the "prefetch" trick or the "profile" one? If the latter, where/how does one change a profile?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazal View Post
My firefox takes over a minute to load first time around, it's quite pathetic compared to IE7. I think that part of the problem is that NoScript wanders around on the Internet before firefox is ready for m.

What did you do, the "prefetch" trick or the "profile" one? If the latter, where/how does one change a profile?
I just took off most of the chrome extensions/themes.... It would be a good idea to possibly just get rid of most of downloaded themes/applications like (and this is what I had on mine) speed speed dial, which took a heavy toll on start up speed. Also, uninstall any unnecessary toolbars and possibly even rid some of your unneeded bookmarks... Lol, I did mine a while ago, so I don't exactly remember what I did right down to the exact procedures, but I'm sure it was along the lines of what was discussed throughout the page. Also, for creating a new firefox profile, a simple google search should bring up an answer....
Old 08-29-2009, 01:01 AM   #12
Registered Member

Nailed it! Seems like antivirus AVG 8.5 was slowing down the load times of almost every program in my PC, including Firefox. I switched over to Avast 4.x, now Firefox loads in about 2 seconds, all other windows open very much faster as well. I have not changed any settings on Firefox.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #13
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

I have 3 computers running:

xp biz desktop 3gb mem... runs almost instant startup on firefox

vista laptop 3gb mem... runs almost instant startup on fire fox

xp desktop (only 1gb mem)... others browsers (safari, opera, start up in about 10 seconds... ie7 about 30seconds...

now: I understand the limited mem of this machine would mean slower starts overall then the other two that have 3gb mem... but Firefox USED to start up quickly... I did the suggested fixes... mostly deleting ie7's "history and temp files" and that IMPROVED THINGS... but just marginally...THEN I FOUND THE SOLUTION (at least for me)...

and it is: THE AVG ANTIVIRUS "ADD-ON" ...I disabled that in the add-ons...and now Firefox starts up in about 5 seconds... before this step it took minutes... (also, I was already using FasterFoxLite... which I had tried with little noticeable improvement... basically I disable MOST ADD-ONS...except java stuff, Fireshot (for quick screen or webpage cys), StumbleUpon... in other words on only keep ENABLED in the ADD-ONs...stuff I USE A LOT.

on my 3gb mem machines...this doesn't matter...but check if you have an antivirus like AVG running as an addon--- I have the free version...very good...but in this situation... all but prevents me using Firefox...

Safari, and Opera... are very good too...almost as quick and similar in mem usage to Firefox... but I like StumbleUpon and Fireshot too much, so I do want to mainly use Firefox...AND NOW IT'S ALMOST INSTANT STARTUP!

hope this helps many,

regards,

flashrob (website: dimestop.com if your interested)