Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

[SOLVED] Connection Reset (continually)

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Connection Reset (continually) within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Last Tuesday when I started up FF 5.01, every link I tried (through Google search) I ended up getting a

Old 07-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

EEK!

Last Tuesday when I started up FF 5.01, every link I tried (through Google search) I ended up getting a Connection Reset message. I tried Bing, Webcrawler, and another...(can't remember which offhand)... with the same results. However, I started up Google Chrome and everything worked normally. Before trying Chrome though I had ran a full AV/Anti-malware check and also ran Malwarebytes tool and SuperAntiSpyware as well. Took care of what did show up and still had the Connection Reset problems. So I used Google Chrome, but I need Firefox..(My Preference)... Made sure as advised through another post that Firefox was recognized as a trusted program in the Comodo Internet Security package I run. NEVER had this problem before. Definitely a bug in the works methinks, but what do I do ???? Any ideas folks ???? Lotsa thanks ahead of time for your help !!!

AER
Wyoming

Old 07-23-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi, welcome to TSF

It sounds like something is blocking Firefox's access to the internet - this is usually a firewall problem, so try disabling Comodo temporarily before restarting Firefox.

Also, check the File > Work Offline option in case someone has accidentally clicked it.

watch?v=V4H5PFGr03Q
koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

EEK!

Hello Koala, and thanks for the reply. Firefox does have access but the Connection Reset problem shows up when I click on a found link. Now, If I click on a bookmark on my Bookmark Toolbar, it goes right to the proper site. If I type an address in, it goes to the site too. The problem with the connection reset exists only when I click on a link displayed after a search through Google or whatever. Now, I did forget to mention that occasionally, when I click on a link, the connection may not be reset but it gets redirected, usually to some site trying to sell me something. I really don't want to re-install the OS to get rid of this bugger. I've never experienced this before. Thanks again.... any more ideas ????

AER
Wyoming
Old 07-25-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

If you're getting redirected from search results and links, you've probably still got some malware remaining. If you'd like our security analysts to take a look, please follow the instructions here and start a new thread with the requested log files in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware forum.

watch?v=V4H5PFGr03Q
koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Cool

Koala <<<<<<<<<<<

Well !!

I decided that now was a good time as any to make my Win 7 system a Multi-Boot one along side of XP Pro, SO I went ahead partitioned it out, re-installing Win 7 Pro along the way, the formatting for the re-install taking care of the damned redirected link problems. I have saved your instructions and DL'd Combo-Fix and such IN CASE of some problem in the future... (Can't even find any wood in the vicinity to knock on... lol..) so once again I want to thank you for your time and willingness to help out ! Really appreciate it Koala .......... So for the time being, take good care !!!

AER
Wyoming, USA