Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

problem with tor browser

This is a discussion on problem with tor browser within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. so i recently downloaded this update or whatever(when you first open up tor browser on the front page sometimes it

Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

so i recently downloaded this update or whatever(when you first open up tor browser on the front page sometimes it says updates are available)and it seems like flash videos show up differently now and im wondering if anyones ever had problems with downloading those and having it mess up your tor browser cuz im thinking its actually showing my real ip on webpages now

Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
-Articles Team
-Games Team

Location: Norfolk, East Anglia, England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

My System

Hey Jay,

The idea of the TOR browser is to anonymise yourself from what I have read about it

However, scripts like JavaScript and plugins such as Flash can bypass these anonymisation techniques.

Really, you would want to be looking at a proxy for hiding your IP and use a normal browser (configured to use the proxy). TOR should be used for browsing static websites with anonymity (from what I have read, people use it for stuff like sharing political views, many different secrets such as trade/company secrets and for other, less reputable reasons). I'd be a bit careful using it.

I wouldn't worry about hiding your IP on the likes of YouTube however, as it basically only available to Google who are very unlikely to ever view it.

Hope this helps,
-Redeye

Games & Articles Team

Redeye3323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeye3323 View Post

Really, you would want to be looking at a proxy for hiding your IP and use a normal browser
hmm,all the free proxys i heard about logged user activity and i dont think tor does so thats why i decided to use tor over proxys,in terms of javascript though i do have "noscript"enabled but i know before ive been able to run tor browser fine without disabling any of the extensions, it just seems like lately its been kinda screwed up
Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
-Articles Team
-Games Team

Location: Norfolk, East Anglia, England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

My System

Hey Jay,

Perhaps the website(s) in question have made the switch from Flash to HTML5. It's a newish part of HTML which isn't yet standard, but is slowly replacing Flash.

Games & Articles Team

Redeye3323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Why are you concerned about websites knowing your IP? What do you think they're going to do with it apart from providing you with content to enjoy?

If you think NoScript or any other extension might be affecting performance, disable it temporarily to test.