Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

I just lost ALL my bookmarks and have tried EVERYTHING

This is a discussion on I just lost ALL my bookmarks and have tried EVERYTHING within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I did the whole "run" process and clicked on the old profile, but still....nothing works. I lost over 50 valuable

Old 03-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

I did the whole "run" process and clicked on the old profile, but still....nothing works. I lost over 50 valuable bookmarks. Are there any helpful links/suggestions you guys have? I'm desperate, please help!

Old 03-13-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Hello and Welcome to TSF

How did you lose your bookmarks? What did you do that caused this?

Old 03-13-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Firefox froze up so I clicked "cntrl alt delete" and clicked out. When I went back in, all my bookmarks were lost. I have tried SO many website. I did the "run" procedure twice, did the "bookmark.html" process and none of that helps. :(
Old 03-13-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Try System Restore to a date before this happened.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #5

My System

I don't know if the following will work with your browser or not but you can try it. THe folder may be hidden.

To find and hide (or reveal) the folder for Favorites, right-click on Start and then select Explore. In the display this summons the heading for Documents and Settings. Scroll down until you find a folder with a star icon instead of the regular yellow folder icon. This is the Favorites folder. Give it a right-click and select Properties from the pop-up menu this creates.

In the tabbed box for Properties you will find a toggle box for Hidden. If checked uncheck it.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

Perhaps try letting Windows search for the bookmarks. Set the search's advanced options to search in hidden files and folders. First try looking for bookmarks.html. open up any copies you find to see if your bookmarks are in any of them. If not, try a search for bookmarks.bak. When found, rename 'bak' to 'html' and open the file. If this still hasn't found the bookmarks do a search for a folder called bookmarkbackups. Open the folder and see if there is a backup of your bookmarks in there.

Firefox bookmarks (bookmarks.html) are stored by default in: C:\Documents and Settings\YourUerName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default (xxxxxxxx represents a random string of letters and numbers). If you cannot see this location you'd need to unhide the folder in 'Folder Options' in Windows Explorer (Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders).
Old 03-14-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hi No name - I lost my bookmarks at the same time you did (day and time) -- and I did nothing to cause it. I tried to log on and could not unless I created a new user profile. Then I couldn't find the old Mozilla which had my bookmarks.

I followed Martt's instructions (second paragraph) and found my bookmarks!! But don't know how to get them back to where they're supposed to go? Can someone tell me what to do next? Thanks. S
Old 03-14-2006, 09:22 PM   #8
Registered Member

Still no luck. I did everything suggested.

:(
Old 03-15-2006, 05:14 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinakeen
Can someone tell me what to do next? Thanks. S
The bookmark.html file in the location: 'C:\Documents and Settings\YourUerName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default' is usually the file put there by Firefox on installation. I'd just ask if you have double-clicked on the file to open it and see that this is indeed your lost bookmarks file (all bookmarks should be present as links). Was there more than one copy found when you did the search?

If these are the lost bookmarks and are in a location other than the Firefox default one, you can usually get them to work in a couple of ways;

1. Open Firefox's Bookmark Manager (Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks..). Go to: 'File' > Import' and choose to import the bookmarks from a file'. Browse to where bookmarks.html is and import the bookmarks.

2. Go to where the bookmarks.html file is, make a copy of it and paste it into the above default location. Allow it to overwrite the existing file. If this is your lost bookmarks file, the bookmarks should then be ready to use in Firefox.